• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is your favorite game hunted using muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
What game do you enjoy hunting the most using muzzle loaders?

For me, I'm going to say deer 1st, then squirrels, then pheasant.

That made me chuckle. I never heard of still hunting for squirrels.
Where I come from, Still huntin is taking a few steps then lean against a tree and repeat, more leanin than walkin. Works for me in the big thickets of Deep East Texas!
B0C2BA40-CA93-48BC-9363-F6F26086BAFA.png

Where I come from, Still huntin is taking a few steps then lean against a tree and repeat, more leanin than walkin. Works for me in the big thickets of Deep East Texas!

I agree and have been still hunting for deer, bear, and elk for 6 decades. I was taught to still hunt as a kid from my dad and liked it so much i've never changed from it. However, the purpose is to sneak up on game and see them before they see you. Is that necessary with squirrels? It seems squirrels always know we're there but don't spook like big game.

I agree and have been still hunting for deer, bear, and elk for 6 decades. I was taught to still hunt as a kid from my dad and liked it so much i've never changed from it. However, the purpose is to sneak up on game and see them before they see you. Is that necessary with squirrels? It seems squirrels always know we're there but don't spook like big game.
We’ve got Cat Squirrels here in East Texas, the slightest movement or sound and they hit the ground runnin from tree trunk to tree trunk never stopping till plum out of sight

We’ve got Cat Squirrels here in East Texas, the slightest movement or sound and they hit the ground runnin from tree trunk to tree trunk never stopping till plum out of sight

Ours are pretty skittish here too. I guess I ‘still hunt’ as I walk a bit, find a comfy looking tree trunk, take a load off, scan the forum for an hour, and its game-on for a couple two, three shots.

I like hunting squirrels and rabbits the best but deer hunting would be next. I’d love to try turkey hunting with a muzzleloading rifle but it’s not allowed here.

I do not hunt that was the method using hounds which is now not allowed here in the UK but I do shoot using Muzzle Loading shotguns , driven pheasant and partridge are good but pigeon and cr
IMG_0364.JPG
100_2357.JPG
ow which are classed has pests are just has sporting
Feltwad

Last edited:
Used to be elk and deer, now my favorite is Geese. Lifelong waterfowl hunter and moving to muzzleloading put a lot of the fun and enjoyment back into it for me. Don't know why I didn't do it years earlier, as I have been muzzleload hunting deer etc for a long time

Back