• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your favorite era of muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite type of muzzleloader?

• Choose your favorite

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Match lock

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Wheel lock

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • flintlock

Votes: 90 69.8%
  • Percussion

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • other

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like the period roughly 1400 AD to the present. Muzzleloaders Forever!!!!! Excluding the stainless and plastic in-line abominations of course.

Last edited:
My favorite era is the Colonial Flintlock era but it wasn't always.

When I was a kid living in Utah I spent a lot of time in the woods. One day I saw the movie the Mountain Men and that was it! I became fascinated with the guns, skills and accoutrements they had in order to survive in the wilderness. I put a few CVA percussion kits together, made a fur hat and moccasins and and started attending Rendezvous.

Now days I live in Kentucky and became so fascinated with the Colonial era, Longhunters, Frontiersman, and explorers that entered into this area before it was settled. I love to experiment and improve my skills building and shooting Flintlock rifles and smoothbores. Using the tools, accoutrements and clothing they might have used. Hunting and cooking the meat and other food of the era on a campfire I made with flint and steel.

1780's in Kentucky--Ohio area....

14053975_10206961986759621_8541295603781461664_n copy.jpg

I love it all! I'm most interested in pre-flintlock ignition systems (matchlock, wheellock, snaphaunce, etc). Out of those, matchlocks are probably my favorite due to their historical significance and simple mechanism.

Like many here, I started with a TC Hawken kit. It really only fits the 1980ish period though. I then picked up a Pedersoli Frontier in .32 caliber. It's a blast to shoot and my grandsons love it! It's a tack driver, has zero recoil, and they still get that big puff of white smoke! I'm pushing 70 and have arthritis in my ankles, knees, back and shoulders, so packing the Hawken got to be a chore unless I was just hunting out of the blind, so I acquired a .45 cal. Pedersoli Kentucky, which is my current favorite. All are percussion, so I guess that's my favorite. I've never fired a flintlock, but I'm sure drooling over a .45 cal. SMR from Kibler. With the economy the way it is right now, though, it will probably remain a dream. 😢

Depends on the weather and what I want to do on that day. Flint fowler and rifles for fun. Percussion in rain, snow, and serious business. Shotguns of both types for small game. Eclectic with too many sitting around to have a favorite. It's all fun.

Joseph do you shoot slug and picket rifles?
When the opportunity arises I sure do. Unfortunately all matches of that sort have stopped at Cody. I'm ready though should a match pop up somewhere. I use a slug gun or picket rifle at Glasgow MT every August. They have no limits on the type of rifle to be used in the ML match.

We still shoot them at Canal Fulton. On Sept 25th we have a muzzleloader vs cartridge match: always a lot of fun. I shoot slug and picket rifles.

I'd like to make it over there some day. 1950 miles is a long expensive trip these days. :( With my knees I have a hard time driving any distance. 😢

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back