• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiscrameness

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I received this rifle from my grandfather. He got it from a friend and knows nothing about it. I know almost nothing about antique firearms but I would like any opinions on this one. I believe it is old, I just don't know how old. I do believe it has been modified as well (in addition to the brass studs). The stock under the trigger guard has been patched like the original guard had slightly different dimensions. I also can't imagine that the brass end on the stock is original. The only marking on the barrel is a partial "3" stamped on the underside. The bore measures .565. Thanks.
IMG_20140714_123230_238.jpg

IMG_20140714_123247_179.jpg

IMG_20140714_123301_775.jpg

IMG_20140714_124653_350.jpg

I forgot to add, the sights are dovetailed and there is a plug in the side of the breech like the flash hole has been moved.

Yeah I thought home made as well. Its just odd, like it doesn't have its own style but kind of cobbled together.

Oh no worries, when I said I knew it was old I really just knew it wasn't a recent reproduction. The fit and finish are rough in a craftsmanship way, not like it has been aging for 150 Years haha.

It is rather a tactless tack job, isn't it! At least the wing nut who did it used the real looking high-dome style and not those 20/$1.00 upholstery tacks form Wallyworld! :doh:

Those tacks look pretty old pull one to see if it has a square shank. I suspect this may be an older piece than we suspect. But I do think it has south of the border origins. I think this is a late form of trade gun possibly late 19th or early 20th century. I have seen similar things in south and central America, and Africa. We have to remember there are places that still would prefer to provide a weapon for an indigenous person to kill a monkey with but not have much chance at revolution.

I have one of the Spanish percussion shotguns in .410. It is well used with pitting around the nipple.Probably circa 1960 I brought it back from the Darien Gap. I traded one of those US stainless pocket knives for it. It hangs in my den.

Wes/Tex said:
It is rather a tactless tack job, isn't it! At least the wing nut who did it used the real looking high-dome style and not those 20/$1.00 upholstery tacks form Wallyworld! :doh:
I think it looks kinda 'tacky'.
:grin:

IMHO tacks on original guns are kinda cool as it personalize it. As for a new made kinda tacky. I can beat a gun up pretty good just owning it.

Originally, buttons were placed on soldier's uniforms to keep them from wiping their noses on their sleeves.

In the same fashion, the tacks were placed on that rifle stock to keep lefthanded shooters like me from firing it.

AZbpBurner said:
Originally, buttons were placed on soldier's uniforms to keep them from wiping their noses on their sleeves.

In the same fashion, the tacks were placed on that rifle stock to keep lefthanded shooters like me from firing it.

Sounds like a VERY viable answer to me!
Fred

Back