• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The main spring on my Kibler round faced lock has an interesting finial. It is shaped like it was designed to cut string. I can't imagine what benefit it is to spend machine time creating such a hook.
Can someone enlighten me?

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 210
The round face is machined, not cast and marketed as such for precision.
Something has to hold the metal in precise position while the CNC does it's work.
That's a machine grip point, and inconsequential to the function of the lock.

It's just a decorative flourish of a style found on many if not most antique British civilian locks, the type this lock is modeled after. Chambers roundface Brit locks, the lock Kibler's lock was initially modeled after, display the same type of thing.

You can simply remove it if it bugs you although you need to retain the portion of the finial with the small "tit" that matches the slot in the underside of the bolster; that is designed to hold the spring in place parallel to the plate through it's cycle so it doesn't begin scoring the plate as it flexes.

Years ago I took a course that included Arts, literature, music, philosophy, and much more. In studying the Medieval churches and the architecture of the era it was found by modern study that pieces made for their construction, knowing they would never be seen close up by anyone was done with the same care and craftsmanship as something on the altar that would be seen daily by everyone. It seems that "you can't see it from my house" type philosophy did not enter into their thinking.
Robby

Years ago I took a course that included Arts, literature, music, philosophy, and much more. In studying the Medieval churches and the architecture of the era it was found by modern study that pieces made for their construction, knowing they would never be seen close up by anyone was done with the same care and craftsmanship as something on the altar that would be seen daily by everyone. It seems that "you can't see it from my house" type philosophy did not enter into their thinking.
Robby
You mean they took pride in their work?
Good heavens! (Shocked)

Many folks today could take a lesson from those folks.

Robby

That’s true Craftsmanship…
My Dad was a Carpenter, every piece he cut, he trimmed and sanded by hand until it fit like a glove..

The close enough stuff seemed too come along when the World first went disposable…

Last edited:
My Dad was a Carpenter, every piece he cut, he trimmed and sanded by hand until it fit like a glove..

The century+ old farm house we had on the lease I was on was like that. The main leaseholder was a guy from the Panhandle of Florida that is a home builder focusing on higher-end homes...yet he still builds a lot of them every year. He told me he would lay in bed looking at the woodwork in the room he was in and think "my goodness....we can't do that well today with the most modern tools!" And that was "just" a farmhouse...not some rich person's mansion!!! :thumb:

The fact that Jim Kibler adds that normally unseen historical feature to his mainspring is a tribute to his attention to detail and "Old-World" quality thinking.

The close enough stuff seemed too come along when the World first went disposable…

My Grandfather was such a fellow when it came to doing wood or metal. I asked him as I was a young lad, why, and he explained that when the piece or part properly fit, it lasted the longest. He didn't like having to redo a job, and that repair was after a part was finally worn out, but redo was because the part was NOT right the first time. He explained that when he was my age, which would've been before WWI, all the craftsmen knew this, and it carried forward into modern machining through WW2..., but since then as the idea had lapsed over time, those that still did so became well known and sought after..., as he was by the time I arrived and got to know him. ;)

LD

Back