• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is this? A spiller?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting back on topic, here are pictures of my Pietta manufactured Rogers & Spencer 44 caliber, with a date code of AF (1980). Some of the bluing is worn away, and some of it has turned "plum" colored over the years.

This is a great shooting and reliable firearm.

100_6861.JPG

100_6862.JPG

100_6863.JPG

100_6864.JPG

100_6865.JPG

100_6866.JPG

100_6867.JPG

Nice i like it. Very similar to the real ones surplussed out from US stores by Bannermans just after the turn of the century. Had one, too valuable to shoot and sold it on.

Got it R&S home today. Broke it all down and gave it a good cleaning, lubed up the chambers, and barrel. All looks good. Will be taking it out tomorrow for a test ride. Seller included a slim Jim type holster for it. Also bought a 1851 navy (pietta) pretty dirty and oily but once cleaned up, all looks good.

That sounds great! What are you using for lube? Anything petroleum based will make a terrible tar-like mess to clean up. I use Ballistol. Lots of other choices available.

How about a few pictures of the holster and the 1851 revolver too, please? 😀

My picture taking abilities with my phone are definitely sub par. I like the holster you have for yours BP. I plan to take mine in the woods with me at times. In northern mn, this can mean snow on pine trees. I like the idea of the flap protecting the pistol from the elements. Was looking at a military like that from Track.

I didn't make that holster; I modified an old "fits all" (that in reality "fits none") generic holster that I acquired in a package deal. I removed the stitching and trimmed off the extra leather to make it fit my R&S. There was a non-period correct pull snap on the holster. I removed the snap from the flap and used the existing hole for the retaining hole of a brass stud. I attached the stud to a circle of leather, and then stitched the circle of leather over where the other half of the pull snap was fastened to the body of the leather. Then I stitched the holster body back together.

After that the holster fit my R&S gun properly, and the metal hardware was period correct for 1865.

Donny2guns, that is a fine pair of revos you have there!

Last edited:
That sounds great! What are you using for lube? Anything petroleum based will make a terrible tar-like mess to clean up. I use Ballistol. Lots of other choices available.

How about a few pictures of the holster and the 1851 revolver too, please? 😀
Not to burst B P Arn's bubble, but the major oil in Ballistol is mineral oil (petroleum based). Some petroleum oils do a fine job in use with black powder firearms. Do pay attention to fouling and maintain a cleaning procedure that prevents any tar like build up with fouling. Some of the worst of the fouling build up can happen with Bore Butter, a supposedly all natural lubricant. I have to watch my all natural bee's wax and olive oil mix (Trade Mark EVO Oyle's Muzzle Loader Lubricant and Chapped Lip Cream avalable in your local kitchen). That will form a crust quite quickly. I use Barricade as the rust inhibiting lubricant of choice for storing firearms and I use RIG as the grease for threaded parts and on sliding surfaces.

I would have to say that I would be bringing those two revolvers home with me too. I'd be looking for forgivness since permission would be hard to obtain.

I for one think that A PLUM COLOR on a weapon is just as nice as color case hardening/ JMHO.

Not to burst B P Arn's bubble, but the major oil in Ballistol is mineral oil (petroleum based). Some petroleum oils do a fine job in use with black powder firearms. Do pay attention to fouling and maintain a cleaning procedure that prevents any tar like build up with fouling. Some of the worst of the fouling build up can happen with Bore Butter, a supposedly all natural lubricant. I have to watch my all natural bee's wax and olive oil mix (Trade Mark EVO Oyle's Muzzle Loader Lubricant and Chapped Lip Cream avalable in your local kitchen). That will form a crust quite quickly. I use Barricade as the rust inhibiting lubricant of choice for storing firearms and I use RIG as the grease for threaded parts and on sliding surfaces.

I would have to say that I would be bringing those two revolvers home with me too. I'd be looking for forgivness since permission would be hard to obtain.
I did have bore butter in years past havnt used for some time, we will see how this stuff works. When I looked at the barrel and chambers on the navy, I saw that there was powder residue in some of the chambers. No rust/pitting anywhere on the pistols. Almost looks like he shot it, swabbed the barrel and some of the chambers and covered it in oil. Nipples came out without fuss and where not rusted, I dunno 🤷‍♂️. I use barricade in all my modern firearms, wasn’t sure about using it on the bp’s.

This gentleman also had three more Pietta’s: Remington (target in stainless I believe as it had an adjustable rear sight), a 1860 sheriff in.36, and an 1860 in .44. He also had a blued ROA. Was willing to let them all go for a ver fair asking price, but I would not be alive to be talking to you all now if I accepted that deal.

Last edited:
You're right as can be, Vintovka. Once upon a time, I was offered a half-stock rifle that was clearly a flintlock but was missing the top jaw and top jaw screw from the lock. I accepted it as part of a more complicated deal and later discovered that I was the new owner of a lightly used original Harper's Ferry Rifle. My father used to say, "Sometimes, even a blind pig stumbles onto an acorn."

Nice i like it. Very similar to the real ones surplussed out from US stores by Bannermans just after the turn of the century. Had one, too valuable to shoot and sold it on.
Hi, Vintovka; I looked carefully at the stock on my M1861 Miroku, and it seems to be a One Piece. I don't see any indication it has been joined. Thanks for the info, again, I think you could tell some interesting tales of the 'old days' in the hobby!

Getting back on topic, here are pictures of my Pietta manufactured Rogers & Spencer 44 caliber, with a date code of AF (1980). Some of the bluing is worn away, and some of it has turned "plum" colored over the years.

This is a great shooting and reliable firearm.

View attachment 52029
View attachment 52030
View attachment 52031
View attachment 52032
View attachment 52033
View attachment 52034
View attachment 52035
I picked one up at auction a few years back; beautiful repros! Haven't shot it, though! Have a conversion cylinder from Taylor's for it. Mine was tucked into the bottom of a tool box containing BP supplies, the auctioneer didn't even know it was there! Paid about 250 for it, same 1980's time period, and it was unfired. Great photos, thanks.

I picked one up at auction a few years back; beautiful repros! Haven't shot it, though! Have a conversion cylinder from Taylor's for it. Mine was tucked into the bottom of a tool box containing BP supplies, the auctioneer didn't even know it was there! Paid about 250 for it, same 1980's time period, and it was unfired. Great photos, thanks.
Been looking at getting a conversion for it. Taylor’s only lists the blued version though. Sent them an email asking about nickel....we shall see

Been looking at getting a conversion for it. Taylor’s only lists the blued version though. Sent them an email asking about nickel....we shall see
I don't think they have a 'stainless' for the R&S. I can get a unit from Taylor's for my 1851 Navy percussion. (It's an old Armi San Marco, which is said to be same as Uberti; in fact, Uberti bought out ASM some time back. ) I did get a unit for the Ruger percussion Old Army in blue; when I can find a revolver at a good price, I won't care if it's stainless or blue. Good luck!

I wish mine had that nice Plum coloring! Looks great!

I don't think they have a 'stainless' for the R&S. I can get a unit from Taylor's for my 1851 Navy percussion. (It's an old Armi San Marco, which is said to be same as Uberti; in fact, Uberti bought out ASM some time back. ) I did get a unit for the Ruger percussion Old Army in blue; when I can find a revolver at a good price, I won't care if it's stainless or blue. Good luck!
Yeah I’m not too worried probably just pick up a blued

Latest posts

Back