• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is this? A spiller?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve been lurking around here for some time. Been looking at picking this up locally. He calls it a New army, says it’s a Pietta. But, it looks like more of a Spiller and Burr type. Anyone have any info?
2FBC7738-0EB9-4F30-BA66-28A2DC2C4C3E.jpeg

The Roger Spencer is the best period cap and ball revolver there was ever made. The Ruger Old Army is superior but it is not a period gun.

If the bores and chamber check out, you would be a fool to leave it on the shelf at that price! You could even ask to go lower (175) or so and that would be even better, but $200 is a fair price for one in good shape.

good note on checking cyl and bore closely. I once was offered a near new stainless 1858 for a very small amount. Before I "bit" i pulled the cyl to discover (to my amazement and chagrin of seller) there was a 3/8 to 1/2" void/gap in the rifled barrel halfway down. Gun was as new, no sign of a bulge or other issue, just a void/ring of missing metal. Bore was nicely rifled on either side of the gap. Must have been a defect in the blank that made it all the way thru! At a shot show long ago i shared the incident with one of the big Italian makers. If i understood correctly ( my Italian is poor at best) it seems there had been frequent strikes and stuff like this was either missed or allowed to pass on purpose.

I think he sold/traded it to someone else at show and never saw it again. Many times folks at shows will buy something they think is a real steal and immediatly squirrel it away under table only to discover problems later. Reminds me every time to do a bore check. Started to carry a bore light as standard show/front counter tool.

"Boy. I certainly hope nobody was hurt by this “seller’s”, and/or factory’s, willingness to sell said defected pistols in the name of a buck. Disgusting."

Use care before jumping to conclusions. No one knows if there was any deceit involved.

Last edited:
True but quick buys at shows require some skill and knowledge and sometimes some guts. Did same show for 20+ years and really saw some stuff. Was Offered a rare item really (ridiculously) cheap price and immediately agreed to buy. With item in hand and money out another passer by offers much more to seller causing near chaos and insisting deal be "canceled".

Some traders - at shows and at some rendezvous - seem to have "flexible" morals about their deals. Any of us who have been doing this for long have run into them. My personal reaction is to avoid them in all future dealings and to pass the word to any other potential customers when I have the chance. In my opinion, they are in the same class as sneak thieves and bunco artists. The "flip side" of the situation can be seen with some (sadly, very few) people who value their word above their wallets. One such rendezvous trader made a deal with me for some gear, delivered the goods and was paid the agreed-upon price. Later that day he showed up at my camp, handed me some cash, and said, "I thought about it and decided I charged you too much." When I said I was happy with the deal as it originally was, he said he just wouldn't feel right. We became friends and did more business together over a long period of time.
I reckon it's likely I'm a dinosaur, but if I know a man's person's
word can't be trusted I just won't do business with him (or her).
There floats my stick,
Tanglefoot

Back