• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, could one of you fellow shooters please tell me what this is? It came with my CVA Hawken. Thank you
FA5BAA6A-6DBF-427D-9480-AB44F3CEFD88.jpeg
CBC9AF47-EAE7-4711-A5EC-AAFCBCF03DD5.jpeg

There where some nipples desighned to use modern rifle primers and this looks very like one . I forget the patent name but its early 70s at a guess . seemed a fiddly & needless affair they had a small chain if I recall correctly . Could be one of those or a varient .
Rudyard

Thank you, I get great fire with the #11 caps. I have never seen one of these before.

I have one. As stated, it allows you to use a large rifle or #209 primer instead of a percussion cap.

You install the lower half in the rifle, in place of a percussion nipple. You unscrew the top, put a primer in the pocket, and screw the top back on. Shoot as normal. You then remove the top half, pick out the spent primer, reload, and put a new primer in the pocket, screw the top on again, and shoot once more.

They can be slower than just using a new percussion cap, but if you are unable to find percussion caps, these nipples will allow you to keep shooting.

Yeah I bought one of these when caps were unavailable so I could keep shooting if need be but I have never had to use it.

It has a ball end on the inside, I assume for striking the primer. Too small for a 209 primer

Attachments

• 59D72839-E783-4980-A90D-8619ABA8F8AF.jpeg
    59D72839-E783-4980-A90D-8619ABA8F8AF.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 48
Used to see those a lot around here in late 80’s and early 90’s. They were supposed to be more reliable than a standard cap. Haven’t seen one in years. They kinda faded away with the invent of the in-line.

I have a in-line T/C shoots lights out with a 209 that takes that ignition,but on a side lock I would not use anything but a Percussion Cap and have never had a failure to fire, I wouldn’t change it out. Stay true to the nature of the rifle.

called the accra-shot back in the day. took a small rifle primer and had a lil loader device/tube that stacked primers up.
different in that the primers were stacked on top of each other. Works and certainly will fire a gun. Slow and klunky to reload.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

It threads into my rifle, I just do not know what primer it uses. No worries as I will stick to my #11 caps.

Latest posts

Back