• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the strangest old timey vegetable you have eaten

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like prickly pear. The fruits are fantastic when you are out hiking on a hot day and find a some real ripe purple ones. The pads are good too, but I prefer the pads from the cultivars with fewer spines. I dice them and fry them with eggs. They are another vegetable that is slimy, like okra, but also known for helping to regulate blood sugar.

ME TOO.

Otoh, I frankly LOVE stewed okra & fresh tomatoes, cooked with onions/spices.

Slimy, YEP. But GOOD too, i you grew up on okra/tomatoes, as I did.
(My governess was a Creole lady from NOLA & she fed me New Orleans Creole food from the time that I graduated from "baby food" until I was in middle school.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
ME TOO.

Otoh, I frankly LOVE stewed okra & fresh tomatoes, cooked with onions/spices.

Slimy, YEP. But GOOD too, i you grew up on okra/tomatoes, as I did.
(My governess was a Creole lady from NOLA & she fed me New Orleans Creole food from the time that I graduated from "baby food" until I was in middle school.)

yours, satx

That sounds like what my we call Spanish Okra. I make it, as well as just frying okra with corn meal sometimes. I've eaten the boiled young okra by itself. Now that's slimy.

I have only found one wild hazelnut tree--- years ago when I was about 9 years old. I remember it yet and wonder if it is still there 75 years later.

My mother loved health food stores. And in spurts growing up we all had to live through health store month. Carob was a big hit with her. I got to say carob was good in chips and bars and made a good shake. I started cooking in our house about eleven or twelve years old. I made carob chip cookies, cake and pie. Hot carb and milk drink in winter.
I know it was used for animal fodder. How was it in a whole pod state, did you cook with it at all?

Actually, it was the pod that I sampled (now that I think about it). The fruit looks much like a flat bean pod containing large seeds with a dark brown, sweet, sticky, fragrant pulp that looks like Date paste. There was a Carob tree that was a childhood "fort" as the branches grew to ground level and it had an opening - reminded me of a cave. I would break open the fallen pods and sample the pulp.