• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the proper name for "possibles bag"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Marshall

32 Cal
Reaction score
I read in another post that using the term "possibles bag" is incorrect and bothers some folk.
Is it really incorrect; and if so, what should one be called?

Man purse.... if ya’ can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Lol

I’ve heard the term possibles bag all my life, however shot pouch I think is the more appropriate term.

It’d be like calling a haversack a pocket..... it is what it is.

I would not call it a shooting bag or pouch, which generally has only what you need to shoot with: ball, patch, caps or spare flint, and *maybe* a couple of tools. You shouldn't have to dig through a bunch of items you don't need to get to what you do need to load and fire.

I guess it also depends on what your persona would need. If you are in battle, you aren't going to worry about having the tools to field strip your gun immediately at hand. They will be in the bottom of your haversack/knapsack or back at camp. If you're a trapper, you might have it all in one bag, or leave the seldom used stuff with your camp or on your mule.

What do we call those bags? Are you out there strictly for fun, or portray an aspect of history? Although "Possibles" seems to be a modern term, I personally don't find it obnoxious. If someone is making an effort to portray an aspect of history, perhaps it would be better to refer to it as a hunting/day/game bag, depending on the portrayal.

But isn't it reasonable to assume that some people years back would call their bag they carried their possibles in, a possible's bag? I think some get too much into being PC just because there is nothing wrote down to prove something.

When I was a young man an old man told me, with no source evidence given, that the bag that fed my weapon was a shooting bag and the bag that carried everything else was a possibles bag. Haversack, he said, was for food and food related items. Perhaps these terms varied in meaning quite a bit based upon time (1750 vs 1865) and region. Perhaps people then we're less concerned with exacting diction and more concerned with meaning? I don't know, but I am certain I have several black powder purses in my den.

Possible that it depends on it's main use. If you're primarily carrying money and related items in it, then "purse" would be appropriate. That's where the term for a prize in a contest comes from, and I doubt any'f you would turn down that.

Back