• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is the oddest lead item you've made ammunition from?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
For me I will have to say the lead scuba weight a guy gave me once. Said He was cutting a person's lawn and almost ran it over. He knew I made my own ammo so gave it to me.

What was your strangest piece of lead that you've made into ammo?

Chemical plant piping.
Whatever the joints were put together with was some of the strangest stuff I've run into.
Very soft but... mealy

Lead circular disc that had a face on one side of them. I assume a high school project that was possibly sand or investment cast?!? There were some zinc disc as well.

I have also thrown in the lead pot a few lead seals from around nails, grab & twist them with side cutters and they pop right off the nail. Replaced approximately 2500 nails with screws on the roof of our old cattle barn. Saved many of the nails, some got lost....I have yet to be energetic enough to remove all of the lead from all of the nails :eek:

Lead circular disc that had a face on one side of them. I assume a high school project that was possibly sand or investment cast?!? There were some zinc disc as well.

I have also thrown in the lead pot a few lead seals from around nails, grab & twist them with side cutters and they pop right off the nail. Replaced approximately 2500 nails with screws on the roof of our old cattle barn. Saved many of the nails, some got lost....I have yet to be energetic enough to remove all of the lead from all of the nails :eek:
Why don't you just melt the lead off?

I've used the five weights. Sold scrap lead alloy (modern pistol bullet lead) to a place that makes sailboat keels and lobster pot weights. They don't use pure lead so never thought to try to get any pure stuff from them.

Lead recovered from a civil war battlefield, all was in a splattered condition, none had any resemblance to a projectile.
buzzy lead 001.JPG

I was given a box of lead that contained parts for a WWII era toy train kit. The metal was mostly a zinc alloy. The parts were neat but I learned there is no collector value out there. So, I melted them down (in pots separate from my pure lead) and cast into .600" balls for use in my 20 ga. fowler., they are hard and very light compared to pure lead. (271 gr. vs.325 gr.) They come out when I shoot but I'm not good enough with a no rear sight shotty to state if they are better/worse for accuracy than pure lead. But, I'm sure they would make a deer or hog come if hit with one.

Nothing really unusual, just old fishing weights. We did butcher the lead headed nails on the barn though when we were kids. And Dad wondered why the barn leaked!

Lead recovered from a civil war battlefield, all was in a splattered condition, none had any resemblance to a projectile.
View attachment 11120
That looks like spillage or slag from a casting operation. That may be from a bullet casting setup for replenishing the division ammo supply. Was all of this in a single location? Interesting pieces...

Back