• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is the best percussion lock .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyblackpowder

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello folks

I’m planning on building my 1st percussion gun . I would like your opinion in the percussion lock is the best . And the fastest too .

Thanks kybp

I have been very pleased with a Siler Mountain style lock on my percussion plains rifle build. Quick action with a strong mainspring.

I’m planning on building my 1st percussion gun.,,

I’m looking at under hammer action. I’m building a chunk gun.
All that is kind of an oxy-moron of the desired result of "best" and "fastest".
While lock time is important, the best results for bench accuracy with cap is a lock that will maintain a solid cap ignition/with nipple cover.
A heavy mainspring with tuned hammer/nipple contact, a smooth tumbler and fine break of trigger sear is the goal.

Guess I’m a “flintlock snob”. I don’t think there’s the range of actual performance in caplocks one sees in flintlocks. It’s much easier to pop a cap than reliably ignite a pan of powder with sparks from flint and steel. I do understand the look and feel of quality has a lot of appeal. For me, lock selection is normally based on style first, then function, with tuning often involved.

Guess I’m a “flintlock snob”. I don’t think there’s the range of actual performance in caplocks one sees in flintlocks. It’s much easier to pop a cap than reliably ignite a pan of powder with sparks from flint and steel. I do understand the look and feel of quality has a lot of appeal. For me, lock selection is normally based on style first, then function, with tuning often involved.
I agree. You "think" there is no difference because you don't know.

I do not know dittly squat about under hammers. Nor cap locks.

What I do know is I chose a Jim Chambers, and if I had to do it again, I would not have changed my mind.
It was and may still be the fastest lock made. Mine was made special, tuned special, and I treat it special.
If Jim makes one, I would buy it.

Back