What is the best percussion lock .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

VAN

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have been very pleased with a Siler Mountain style lock on my percussion plains rifle build. Quick action with a strong mainspring.

Reaction score
I’m planning on building my 1st percussion gun.,,

I’m looking at under hammer action. I’m building a chunk gun.
All that is kind of an oxy-moron of the desired result of "best" and "fastest".
While lock time is important, the best results for bench accuracy with cap is a lock that will maintain a solid cap ignition/with nipple cover.
A heavy mainspring with tuned hammer/nipple contact, a smooth tumbler and fine break of trigger sear is the goal.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Guess I’m a “flintlock snob”. I don’t think there’s the range of actual performance in caplocks one sees in flintlocks. It’s much easier to pop a cap than reliably ignite a pan of powder with sparks from flint and steel. I do understand the look and feel of quality has a lot of appeal. For me, lock selection is normally based on style first, then function, with tuning often involved.

Reaction score
Hello folks

I’m planning on building my 1st percussion gun . I would like your opinion in the percussion lock is the best . And the fastest too .

Thanks kybp

I’m looking at under hammer action. I’m building a chunk gun
I would look into the Allen Under Hammer action offered by Pecatonica River

Reaction score
Hello folks

I’m planning on building my 1st percussion gun . I would like your opinion in the percussion lock is the best . And the fastest too .

Thanks kybp

heres some information from an earlier post

Josephg

40 Cal
Reaction score
Guess I’m a “flintlock snob”. I don’t think there’s the range of actual performance in caplocks one sees in flintlocks. It’s much easier to pop a cap than reliably ignite a pan of powder with sparks from flint and steel. I do understand the look and feel of quality has a lot of appeal. For me, lock selection is normally based on style first, then function, with tuning often involved.
I agree. You "think" there is no difference because you don't know.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
I do not know dittly squat about under hammers. Nor cap locks.

What I do know is I chose a Jim Chambers, and if I had to do it again, I would not have changed my mind.
It was and may still be the fastest lock made. Mine was made special, tuned special, and I treat it special.
If Jim makes one, I would buy it.

Latest posts