• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is the best nipple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For T/C and probably Lyman, I would use the 1/4-28 Hot shot nipples.
For CVA, I would use the 6-1.0 Hot shot Nipples.
I am sure of the T/C threads. Be sure to get the correct thread size for your rifle.
I would use the #11 Magnum caps.
All of these makes of rifles have a fairly long flash channel and the Hot Shot nipples are designed to be used with synthetic powders. Hot firing magnum caps will send the hottest blast of flame to the powder charge.

I agree with Grenadier1758, except if using the BP substitutes I would recommend the Knight Red Hot nipples. Not that the Hot shot nipples arn't good for the substitutes, but the Red Hot seems to be "hotter" and will even ignite pellets.

For T/C, Lyman, CVA etc, Hawken style, #11 caps? And/or your favorite. Why?
That's like asking "What's the best beer?"
You are going to get different answer, each as passionate as the last, all proclaiming "BEST"
Buy a couple of different ones, change them out between sessions, let the gun decide....

That's like asking "What's the best beer?"
You are going to get different answer, each as passionate as the last, all proclaiming "BEST"
Buy a couple of different ones, change them out between sessions, let the gun decide....
That's right. I did tests with simple steel, tempered steel (re-warmed in yellow), Beryllium, titanium, silver and other with platinum inserted. You know what it's always different: powder charges for distances, weight of bullets, type of powder, powder charges and all, and all,and again all..
That depend what you do or that you want do. For 200yards shooting I have Swiss nipples with platinum inserted, 64gr Swiss powder Nr2 and 500gr bullets, at 100 yards beryllium nipples and for 50 yards simple nipples in steel (yellow steel). some other guys have all nipple steell, other all the nipples in beryllium, other powders, other charges and other weight of lead...

I can't say that mine are the best or the best choice but that works well on my rifles, that's all and that's enough for me...

Last edited:
For T/C, Lyman, CVA etc, Hawken style, #11 caps? And/or your favorite. Why?

i will argue til hell frosts over that the cross drilled Hot Shot nipple is the vey best. It appears to be made of steel and seems as tough as though it were and the cross rilling allows the back pressure to escape blowing out the detritus .Thus preventing many misfires.
I own no stock in the company that makes themAfter years of use they look as new as when purchased
Dutch

I probably use the Hot Shot more than anything else , it has been for me the most available . In my Renegade I have a nipple that uses a small rifle primer as regardless of what cleaning I do the flash channel in this rifle seems to be an issue with anything else . I know that is not traditional but it makes this .54 absolutely sure fire and that's all I need it to be since it is what I hunt with the most. I agree with the try different nipples and use what works best in any particular gun crowd .

I'm always the guy that has never had good luck with Hot Shot nipples on my Cabela's rifle. I get the most reliable ignition with the nipples from the Lyman website, CCI Magnum #11 caps, and real BP. I've got a couple Hot Shot nipples sitting in my box if you want them...

Back