• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Is It?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a bunch of misc. black powder stuff at an auction the other day, and this little guy was in there. I’m assuming it’s a flask of some sort, but not sure. Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• C3036D87-B644-462C-96D2-1E27DCBBB9B3.jpeg
    C3036D87-B644-462C-96D2-1E27DCBBB9B3.jpeg
    973.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DB8757A4-793C-46E8-9760-B9053280F6B6.jpeg
    DB8757A4-793C-46E8-9760-B9053280F6B6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Might be a snuff bottle. Can you possibly scrape the inside and shake what's dislodged on to a clean piece of typing paper? Can't really tell if it's a flask/bottle or opens up. Just a possibility, never had anything that looked like that.

Bought a bunch of misc. black powder stuff at an auction the other day, and this little guy was in there. I’m assuming it’s a flask of some sort, but not sure. Does anyone know what it is?
Is it airtight?
Of you blow in the spout end does air blow out here,,,,,
165784-DB8757A4-793C-46E8-9760-B9053280F6B6.jpeg

?
This would rule out a priming flask for powder,,,, and probably a salt flask too if that hole is open to the inside.

Can we please see some other angles? Maybe a view from the bottom edge and from the spout end?

Is it airtight?
Of you blow in the spout end does air blow out here,,,,,
View attachment 165817
?
This would rule out a priming flask for powder,,,, and probably a salt flask too if that hole is open to the inside.

Can we please see some other angles? Maybe a view from the bottom edge and from the spout end?
nothing that a drop of SUPER GLUE wouldn't cure!

I'll try to get some more photos this afternoon. It's hollow with a plug, so I cannot see it being a starter or anything. The plug is small, no bigger than a .22 caliber case. It leaks a very little bit of air when blown into, which is surprising seeing as how the wires run through it.

A couple of observations - The leather appears much newer and the twisted wires are not formed very well in contrast to the item itself. Perhaps these features were added by someone at a later date? Clearly the thing was originally designed and intended to contain and dispense something. Maybe salt..?

Back