• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is it with curved buttstocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally am more comfortable with the cross body hold of the crescent butt plate nestled against the upper bicep. I believe it offers more stability than a flat butt held against the shoulder area. The arm should be held at 90 degrees to the body.

I never understood why the crescent style butt plates became popular in say the 1840-60's rifles. But they were. I only own one. No problem shouldering/shooting with it. But I like others better. Just don't see it as an advantage.

Rick
I think it had to do with the popularity of Sheutzen style target shooting around that time. Check out the shape of a buttplate on a Sheutzen rifle and you will see what I mean.

With the crescent butt plate, decent cast off and the proper hold, you can mount the rifle to the bicep hold with your eyes closed and find the sights aligned when you open your eyes. This puts all the parts in the position your body wants the rifle to be. The result is a more stable hold and better accuracy on target.

It depends on the butplate for me. I like my Kibler SMR and Hawkins. I built an Ohio parts set,
That one was hopeless. I altered the butlpate to make it shootable.

vincent-ohio-perc-parts-list_2.jpg

On small caliber rifles the deep crescent buttplate is fine but on larger caliber hunting rifles I am a big fan of the flat English style buttplate. It helps spread heavy recoil over a larger area.

Attachments

• DSCN1417.JPG
    DSCN1417.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 36
I can deal with most crescent butt plates pretty well once you get the feel for them. I have one original however that is just downright uncomfortable. The rifle comes from about 1850-60 and I suppose people were just smaller back then, the butt plate is just too short from top to bottom for it to fit anywhere on my shoulder without digging in.

Attachments

• IMGP0740.JPG
    IMGP0740.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 47
I can deal with most crescent butt plates pretty well once you get the feel for them. I have one original however that is just downright uncomfortable. The rifle comes from about 1850-60 and I suppose people were just smaller back then, the butt plate is just too short from top to bottom for it to fit anywhere on my shoulder without digging in.
Supposedly, the average man during the Civil War was 5'-7", as opposed to 5'-10" today. But I'm not sure what would have been considered within the normal range. I do know that at 6'-4", Lincoln was considered exceptionally tall..

I never understood why the crescent style butt plates became popular in say the 1840-60's rifles. But they were. I only own one. No problem shouldering/shooting with it. But I like others better. Just don't see it as an advantage.

Rick
Things don’t have to have an advantage as long as it’s in style. Even the big bore Plains guns followed suit, and the creedmoor style
My first ml had it and I learned the stance, and when I’m shooting a flat butt off hand I go to that same stance as I learned it young so now feels comfortable
Better in any way? I don’t think so, but Guns are a lot like ladies fasion( don’t tell you wife I said that)

It’s not supposed to fit your shoulder at all but between your biceps and shoulder so it goes cross the body

This child can't help but wonder if Woody was talking about the curve of the stock comb, or the curve or the buttplate, or maybe the way some rifle stocks are cast off to put the buttplate out on your arm ???

No disrespect intended. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. After a lifetime of mostly shooting relatively modern bolt action rifles, my .40 cal Kibler SMR is the first gun I've ever owned with a crescent buttstock. And shooting offhand, it fits between my bicep and shoulder as comfortably as though I'd been holding guns that way for years. Would I feel the same if I were shooting a .58 cal rifle? I really don't know.
Had a 58 round ball rifle. Stouter but no problem with it digging into my shoulder.

I have found that when you are standing approx. 90 degrees to the target, the rifle pulls up naturally and it is pretty much impossible to mount the rifle to your shoulder. You can also rest your left upper arm against your left rib cage to help steady your aim.

How would you know if it's 'for you' or not, if you haven't learned to hold one the way they were designed to be held? :)
find your local club, and attend some of their shoots. Usually the folks are not shy about giving interested pilgrims a shot or two. Try a bunch of different types; find out what you like.

Owning and shooting both styles for decades, I find that I instinctively adjust for the curvature of the butt and the position on the shoulder/arm. I find that the degree of drop has more of an influence on the speed and accuracy of my shooting. Fortunately, my Southern/curved style rifles are lighter recoiling calibers. My Sharps with it’s deeply curved butt and heavy caliber is pure MURDER for me using any style of hold! IMO, one’s particular physical characteristics, conditioning, and practice will result in the preferred style(s) of rifle for natural pointing, and most accurate shooting. My best(and most comfortable) shooting is done with the wider and more subtle curve of the Lancaster and early Colonial style butts and drop, and using a more traditional hold. But, I’ve seen some darn good Southern style rifle shooters!
BC8B8650-C85D-4F28-8C40-9ECD12A4C2BE.jpeg00F59447-E8F6-4224-8DAC-F9F345B9C44A.jpeg

Back