• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is everyone's opinion on this CVA Mountain Rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonePine

32 Cal
Reaction score
About a week ago I posted on the forum about a decision making predicament I was in. Well fate has solved that predicament by leaving me only one rifle to choose from. The only rifle I have left to choose (as the two kits I was looking at were missing most of their parts and the Whitworth sold) is a CVA Mountain Rifle in .50 caliber with a 32" barrel x 15/16". It has 1/66" rifling and a set trigger. Overall the wood and barrel/bore are in good shape, the nipple has also been replaced. That being said the rifle also has a 6x Brass Tube Telescope and the rear sight was removed to install it ( dovetail need for scope). All in all out of 5 the rifle is about a 4.2. The rifle is for sale for $450 price is negotionable. My question is what does everyone feel the rifle is worth based on their experiences with same or similar rifles ? Also is the Brass scope a bad thing / going to be a pain in the rump ? Has anyone has good hunting experience with the same of similiar rifle ? I will post the picture I have of it as well. I'd hate to overpay for the rifle but at the same time im running out of options and need a rifle that I can get proficient with for this year's deer season. Thank you to everyone who replies.
pix825119066 (2).jpg

The chopped photo you present is actually offensive to those of us with even a basic background with these types of arms.
It in no way represents the rifle or proper application of the scope that may be on it.
What are you actually trying to accomplish here?
A simple search of your posts show this is a duplicate of previous posts.
Can you tell us what year of "deer season" you want to hunt with this mysterious set-up?
I mean 2022? 2023?
It's way too late for the 2021 season,, you surely have a goal, Right?
The chop is obvious, the hacker has no recognition of "side lock" and used basic line concept to mount above the hammer spur?!!?
@LonePine your a fraud.

Beware friends,,

Last edited:
Damn shame the other rifles didnt work out. This rifle is a mid 1970s say 75-78 or 79 CVA Mountain Rifle. Right now in good condition after speaking to my local gunpowder guru when buying somethings to feed my bess. He said that those rifles are pulling $349-$399. Let me try and break this down a bit for ya. What has you looking at this rifle ? Is it the scope or the style ?. My suggestion if you like this style of rifle get a Thompsom center Renegade, Traditions Mountain Rifle or Lyman Great Plains Rifle. If ya got the dough get yourself a nice Pedersoli Missouri Hawken. If ya like the scope go out and get a nice Malcolm 6x scope from Hi-Lux. They sell them in 17", 18", 22" and 30" lengths I believe. Then you'll know your scope is good. Another user here just pm'd me about that rifle right there. That rifle is being sold my his works NAPA parts delivery guy who lives in Alexandria, VA and he has it on g*nbr*ker at $350 reserve not met and told the user he wanted $600 for it. If you cant grab thst rifle for $350 or less i wouldnt even think about it ever again. Not when I have seen T/C Big Boar .58 caliber Renegade rifles sell for $275.00 with supplies. My advice to you just starting out. If you want a flinter or a percussion get a rifle that accepts both locks or buy two cheap rifles. If I were you I would get two nice cheap rifles that I could resell for twice their value. My father just about a T/C Renegade .54 Flint for $250 and last week sold it to a local shop for $550 and the shop just sold it online for $850. I started out with a Pedersoli Brown Bess and figured a smoothbore is all I need right... next thing I know I added a Bess Carbine, H&A Underhammer and a Pedersoli Mortimer to my list in just about a years time. Now im on the hunt for a .58 cal longrifle or I'll put together a Kibler. You'll never stop at one rifle until your 70 where you will stop at four long guns and three or four pistols. My grandfather had 38 Muzzleloaders. When he turned 68 I got him a Mortimer like mine. Now thats all he uses.

The chopped photo you present is actually offensive to those of us with even a basic background with these types of arms.
It in no way represents the rifle or proper application of the scope that may be on it.
Can you tell us what year of "deer season" you want to hunt with this mysterious set-up?
I mean 2022? 2023?
The chop is obvious, the hacker has no recognition of "side lock" and used basic line concept to mount above the hammer spur?!!?
@LonePine your a fraud.

Beware friends,,
Easy christ what are you on about. This is a legitimate post I've talked with him on multiple occasions through PM's he has been on the forum since about December and he's been trying to get a rifle to hunt with some of his friends who all use ML rifles and smoothies. He means 2022-2023 deer season as it is the year 2022. That is quite obvious isnt it ? He didnt make this rifle and was seriously considering buying this hackjob because he is new to Muzzleloaders and didnt know any better. Another user PM'd me due to a post I made on his last thread saying they know who is selling it and they want $600 for it online at G*nbr*ker. This forum is "Keeping Tradition Alive" isnt it ? So newer people have to join the fold and that comes with inexperience. Had he not asked he would've been ripped off with this hackjob and probably wouldve been injured by it if the gun isnt internally sound. I dont know what you're on about but keep it out of these replies to questions from new memebers. You insult yourself by just making his post into a soap opera in your head. He is not a seller nor the builder he was almost a suckered in buyer. You should either mark your post for deletion or apologize to the man beings that you tagged him in your useless rambling.

What the heck is going on with that scope angle?

Unless you’ll be hunting for earthworms, you’ll need to get that fixed.
I agree if you look at photos and portaits of rifles with scopes from the 1850s and 1860s the scope sometimes has a dip but that is terrible and seems to be missing parts to the front riser.

I mean 2022? 2023?
@LonePine your a fraud.

Beware friends,,
The actual seller of this rifle works for a NAPA Parts Authority in Glen Burnie, MD he comes to my work all the time with these muzzleloaders he get out of dead people's storage locker auctions of estate sales. He then tries to sell them off as if they were all used at Antietam. This rifle came to my attention over the weekend and on Monday he had it in his truck trying to see if me or my coworkers would buy it so I PM'd smoothboremurph since he knew a lot about the rifle in LonePines last post. After I mentioned the price, he went on to tell this user LonePine. At least he said he was going to but i guess he never got around to it. That being said since LonePine still thought this rifle waa a good idea he asked some more questions. I dont see how asking questions about a rifle you are looking at makes you a fraud. Especially since there is a whole part of this forum for sales of firearms and one for gainijg identification knowledge of firearms. I guess everyone who posts in there are now frauds too. Your post gets under my skin and it wasnt even addressed to me.

What the heck is going on with that scope angle?

Unless you’ll be hunting for earthworms, you’ll need to get that fixed.
I thought the rear had to be up that high because of the lock. Shows how much I know about these things. Apparently Im just a fraud and a hacker. Oops. SmoothboreMurph just gave me a lowdown he got from a forum member who has seen the rifle in person and basically this rifle is actually being sold for more money online and is a trash fire. Thanks for pointing that out. I dont anything when it comes to Muzzleloaders and I just thought that scope should be like that.

I mean 2022? 2023?
@LonePine your a fraud.

Beware friends,,
I asked a question thats all I did. I wasn't selling this to anyone or advertising it to everyone. I did say "this years deer season" implying 2022-2023. That is quite plain to see. Also the last post featuring this rifle was also mine yes but it was a post about 4 different rifles I was trying to get information on that I... not anyone else on planet earth was going to buy so that I... could hunt White Tail Deer in the State of Maryland the 7th State of the USA on the Mid Atlantic Region of the North American continent. Im not a hacker or a fraud or a scammer. Why would you imply that I am ? For simply asking if I am getting ripped off on a rifle. They have car forums where people talk about a car is being sold for x and if I pay y am I being ripped off. How is this any different ? I dont even know why I bother being on this forum at this point Muzzleloading seems like a pain in the backside to get into. I might as well go buy an H&R unmentionable for $50 and shake hands with this forum. I cant be bothered anymore have a good rest of your day.

Thank you @SmoothboreMurph and @Murphinator for helping me find out this rifle is a trash heap. If I have any more questions I'll keep them to myself for now on or find a different forum or just PM you murph since you have brain up top that works.
Yea thats no big deal thats what this forum is supposed to be here to do. We all share knowledge and as the forum even says "Keep Tradition Alive". I guess some just think that this damn near public forum is their own private gentleman's club where all new people under the tag of 40 cal are all hackers out to suck the jacksons from their wallets until it shribbles up. I try my best to keep up with as many people on this forum as possible to try and help newcomers same as this forum did for me when I needed help. This forum is a good one with good people I hope you reconsider.

Thank you @SmoothboreMurph and @Murphinator for helping me find out this rifle is a trash heap. If I have any more questions I'll keep them to myself for now on or find a different forum or just PM you murph since you have brain up top that works.
Just ignore the jerks. I got a similar response from him on a post I made last night. I’ll ignore and move along.

No opinion on the rifle without seeing it in person......

But regarding the scope, the higher the scope is in the rear the higher the bullet will arc toward the target, in other words it appears someone was trying to launch heavy bullets (conicals) to a distance, possibly 500 yards or so when the scope was adjusted last.

FYI rear sight or rear of scope goes up bullet impact goes up.

@LonePine In general, regarding the CVA Mountain rifle, I feel it is a very good rifle. I got mine in .54 cal 4 years ago and is now my main hunting muzzleloader. I got lucky and got mine well south of 3 Bills with shipping. Sounds like that specific rifle should be ignored. But if you get the chance on another, I would not hesitate.

Anyhow, if you are still in the market, let me know. My father recently purchased a Pennsylvania Hunter from a guy who had several for sale, I believe they were all Thompson Centers. The prices were fair and all in really good shape. He met him face to face and the guy is legit. I don't think you would have anything to worry about with this seller.

Those rifles in general have a good reputation. And, that scope could be set up like that if one wanted to take some very long range shots with that rifle. Not saying it's a quality piece, just that it could be set up with optics and a steep angle for that reason.

No opinion on the rifle without seeing it in person......

But regarding the scope, the higher the scope is in the rear the higher the bullet will arc toward the target, in other words it appears someone was trying to launch heavy bullets (conicals) to a distance, possibly 500 yards or so when the scope was adjusted last.

FYI rear sight or rear of scope goes up bullet impact goes up.

That was my thought too. A friend of mine here in Virginia shoots 600 yard matches with his percussion Sharps. He says mid-range trajectory would clear a telephone pole. Also, he says when shooting prone and if the wind was favorable he could roll over after the shot & look through his spotting scope & see the impact when the bullet hit the target.

You can't go wrong with a CVA Mountain rifle. Great shooters with a good reputation. A previous poster had said $349-$399. I have seen people scooping them up for $500 recently. If the ask is $450, offer 400 and see what deal you can work out. Then if it was me I would sell that scope to recoup a little of the money. I have one and it is my best shooting rifle. There is an easily fixed issue with the trigger to lock fit, which may or may not exist on that rifle. But if you do get it and find some issues with it in that area, we will be happy to share the fix with you.

Unless I'm missing some information here, I don't get where the two posters with direct knowledge have stated anything to the effect this rifle is trash. It appears in decent shape. Bore condition is unknown, and that is important. The scope mounts could potentially be an issue if the screw holes were drilled too deep. I agree it may not be prudent to purchase if you don't have the ability to see it in person. I see rifles come up on this forum fairly frequently that would serve your need. I suggest keeping your eyes out on here.

My first ML rifle is a Mountain in 45. Built it about '78, headshot groundhogs out to 100 yards with ease. Very nice triggers, a real solid, accurate rifle. Slow twist for round balls only, which I personally prefer over the sabots and slugs.
Consider removing the scope, keep or sell, put some decent open sights on it, and in 50, you can take most anything easily.
Sounds like a decent starting price.

Back