• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is Damascus?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was most informative. I learned something about the history of steel making I had previously never known. Thanks for posting that, Claude.

thanks Claude-

yuppers.
what that nice Walter fellow said.

crucible steel, aka wootz (made in small pucks) was shipped out from what we know as India all over the silk road trade routes and beyond.

Damascus, being a blade-making and manufacturing city and center of trade obtained and used those pucks and the monicker "Damascus Steel" sort of stuck, somewhat like "scheffield steel".

yhs
shunka

Indeed.

Was it the National Geographic Channel that had a show on the Vikings with a section in on making a modern repro, that talked about something like over 20 of the finest Viking Swords found were also made of Damascus steel?

Gus

Crucible steel Viking swords were the top model Ferrari equivalents. Most Saab quality good ones were pattern welded from local materials. There have been some Viking swords found that carry fake crucible steel names just like we see fake designer fashion items today. People don't change. But they did know the difference between pattern welded metal and crucible steel even if they did not know why or how they differed. Hence crucible steel imported across thousands of miles was fearsomely expensive but was thought worth the cost if you were rich enough which was very rich. Gun barrel 'damascus' is a species of pattern welding but in tubular form instead of blade form.

Artificer said:
Indeed.

Was it the National Geographic Channel that had a show on the Vikings with a section in on making a modern repro, that talked about something like over 20 of the finest Viking Swords found were also made of Damascus steel?

Gus

Yeah, the Ulfberht blades. Great theory, happened to overlook the minor little detail that +VLFBERH+T happens to be written in the Latin alphabet, not the Scandinavian Futhark, aka runes. In other words, they aren't Viking swords, they are Frankish blades.

Basically, the steel in the Ulfberht blades looks like it was crucible steel. Everything else was speculation based on an obviously erroneous assumption. Dumb.

I remember reading a book on the Vikings translated from a Scandinavian author. I can not recall the name or even the country of origin, it seems in my minds eye it was Danish, but....
And I’m kind-a remembering it was a women archaeologist, this would have been in the late seventies or early eighties.
So( I head it in a bar from a guy who had a friend who knew a fellow that said) take this with a grain of salt.
She pointed out that there was a century long window that allowed Damascus steel to flow in to Scandinavia. The Vikings produced some great swords and tried to imitate those sword and when the trade with the east was closed the Viking smiths could produce good but never as good steel.

Back