• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what is considered a good collection of BP revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3. I had a 36 navy and it was ok and fun for a lighter gun, but; it became to loose and beyond repair. That was my abuse and the gun was of poor quality. The 36 is an anemic caliber. If I were to replace it, I would like to try an 1860, which is a more attractive and more practical 44. I dont like the brass anything. Even a steel frame,open top can shoot loose.

Modern quality 1851 .36 steel navy should live pretty much forever.

Easy on powder and lead and easy to shoot. Fits better in the hand and points more naturally then the 1860 imo

A collection and a lot of anything are different things, in my opinion. A collection to me would be a group of related items, Colts, Remingtons etc. Wether revolvers, knives or buttons a collection should tell a story not just be a bunch of stuff. I would pick a category and concentrate on the best of whatever it is and not just have more than your buddy. Even a poor one can be traded up. Just my 2 cents

The answer is "Yes", and whatever else trips your trigger. Like an 1863 Remington pocket, a Dragoon, and that hardest to find of repros, a Colt Root. Maybe go for a Lemat as well, and in that price range there are even true original Colts and Remingtons in shooter shape available as well.
I am waiting for xmas for the Lemat. What is a Colt Root?

If I lived in a country where a black powder revolver is classed as much a 'weapon' as any item on a grocery bill, I'd buy one every month for the rest of my life, and hope that I lived long enough to buy them all.

You start collecting and it just blossoms into a real big investment.

(photos are of my collection, but never actually laid them all out to photograph so kind of mixed up.)

Attachments

• guns.png
    guns.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
  • 108_2269.JPG
    108_2269.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_2422.JPG
    100_2422.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_2430.JPG
    100_2430.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Lefthand Holster.png
    Lefthand Holster.png
    979.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 1oo.jpg
    1oo.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 2oo.jpg
    2oo.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 3oo.jpg
    3oo.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 103
Ah CSA, You got me thinking. Dangerous thing.

One of the Uberti Colts (branded colt) in a wood case would something to consider. I would be reluctant to shoot that. It would be a nice item to leave out on the coffee table when company stopped over. I would be leaning toward a Dragoon. Colt cased up some 2nd Models.

Colt also did a Lee, & Grant Cased set (two boxes). I normally dont like those gimmick commerative deals, but; I remember I like that idea at the time.

Don't forget probably the best shooting C&B of all - the Rogers and Spencer .44. I bought a (slightly used) Euroarms reproduction a few years ago off the internet for $200, and it was the best buy I ever made. This version has a non-traditional, adjustable rear sight, but it comes in a traditional version also. It is a heavy beast at 2# 14oz, but that really tames the recoil. The trigger is as good or better than any target pistol I have owned, with a glass-clean break at a bit over 3 pounds, and it is deadly accurate. The action is tight and solid, and the overall fit and finish are excellent (and no, it's not for sale). If you like a fine (but a little heavy) BP revolver, this is one to own.

Attachments

• rogers-and-spencer.jpg
    rogers-and-spencer.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 121
I am waiting for xmas for the Lemat. What is a Colt Root?

It was also known as the Colt 1855 Sidehammer revolver and was designed by Elisha Root, an engineer and trusted employee of Colt, who in fact took over the business when Samuel Colt died. Root also designed the revolving rifle (carbine) and they were related in function. He was also responsible for the advent of the "creeping" loading lever being used on Colt's C&B revolvers

Palmetto Arms Co. of Brescia Italy ,was another black powder arms manufacturer, like ASM, Pietta, etc that existed until about 2008 or so and made replica revolvers. They are the only ones I know of that made a copy of the Root revolver, and they also made a copy of the carbine.

They had a terrible reputation for quality and I imagine that is what led to their demise. I bought one of their 1862 Colt New Police replicas from Dixie, who was a major importer of their wares. The pins/holes in the barrel to frame lock up are drilled cattywanpus thus leading to the cylinder and barrel not lining up properly and that is kind of emblematic of their quality control problems. You can still find their pistols out on the secondary market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Model_1855_Sidehammer_Pocket_Revolver
https://www.gunmart.net/militaria/r...lmetto-arms-company-1855-new-model-sidehammer.

Even been talked about here 12 years ago:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/colt-root-1855.41310/

Last edited:
An 1860 Army would go well with the Remington and the Navy. Any Zen collection really needs an Army.

I don't know if anyone has included these, but I always thought I might like reproductions of: a Dance and Brothers in 44 cal., a Rogers and Spencer also in 44 cal. ,almost any Colt copy with fluted cylinders no short barrels, a Starr copy in 44 cal, and of course a Le Matt in any configuration again of course a reproduction.

In collecting percussion revolvers I'd say, "What do you want them for?" It might be to display or for using. I have them for the range. My preference has been for Cimarron Uberti 1851, .36 cal Navys and the Uberti 1860 Army, .44 cal. There are other good replicas out there as well. Mine go to the range.

In collecting percussion revolvers I'd say, "What do you want them for?" It might be to display or for using. I have them for the range. My preference has been for Cimarron Uberti 1851, .36 cal Navys and the Uberti 1860 Army, .44 cal. There are other good replicas out there as well. Mine go to the range.
Well I can say I shoot the living daylights out of mine that’s what there for,not to be hidden in a box or safe. I have a pistol range and a 150 yard rifle range at the house.

AFAIC, a ‘good’ collection is one you (1) enjoy looking at, can (2) shoot all you want, and in the end it can be (3) liquidated for at least what you have in it. There are ‘poor’ collections and there are ‘great’ collections and only the ‘good’ one can give you all three. Buy a good gun smart, and enjoy.

October Country bought Doc. James Davis's Collection of black powder revolvers from Claremore, OK. All revolvers are unfired with box. Doctor James had an extensive collection of reproduction revolvers (Pietta, Uberti, A. Sam Marco, Witloe etc.)
Safe to say that was a “good” collection...

Back