• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is an Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guys seen this page about building a mule ear.
[url] http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/9080/mule.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the current link, but don't be suprised when it doesn't work.
MUZZLELOADER BUILDERS SUPPLY

Last time I was there, they were just sitting it up and nothing was available.

To contact them call 479-292-8866 They are in Ozone Ark and they should be there between 9AM and 5PM.

The underhammer action Susie shows is not a machined assembly. The parts are as cast and consist of the Trigger Guard/Mainspring, Trigger, Hammer, Trigger bar (underside of assembly which the hammer and trigger mount on) and Tang/Reciever (part which barrel breech fits and top strap (or tang).

The 2006 Catalog says:
"I didn't know exactly where to put this contraption! Ever been out to the muzzleloading range and hear someone holler "Underhammer!"? Will, this is it! This is the parts list you need to build one of the easiest rifle assemblies that can be made! This trigger and tang assembly includes all of the as-cast parts required to build your own underhammer rifle. The tang is cast with a .740 diameter hole for the shaft end of your cyinder breach plug. The trigger guard is the spring on this system. Kit includes tang cast into the reciecer, trigger bar, hammer, trigger and trigger guard spring."
Order number 36530 $60.00

By the way, the E-Mail links to many of the suppliers are available on this forum.
Go to the main menu and in the General Muzzleloading section find "muzzleloading links". It has a picture of a Lynx. Go to "Suppliers, Parts & Molds Links" down towards the bottom. After clicking it then go down to the bottom of the page to find PARTS.
Up at the top of the page is a bunch of SUPPLIERS which is also real handy to have available.
You can thank ole Musketman for putting that area together for us. :)

Sorry I couldnt get back Sunday ,half way thru answering a storm blew the elc and phone for 18 hrs. Dave454 I dont know jack about how to work this thing but I sent GMWW the pages of one put together/page 60, Oct 01 MB/you got to drill a dozen holes,thread and trap them ect.You can find it like Zonie said I just put in the name and search and got them. I dont even see a E in the catlog. Its part # 36530 under triggers,maybe that will pull a pic up off of what Zonie put up. All I got was blank my way, but I didnt have a # to put in. Fred :hatsoff:

So next its time to ask.. John what are you going to charge us to put the kit together? And the spring has to be done, Ive only got 1 out of 4 to come out right-to much heat the spring broke ect. Myself Id like to try a hybrd that frame and H+A spring,hammer,and trigger. Then do the other when I got that under my belt. After a fun day sitting on the porch with my son in this storm shooting at cans that went by in the creek I pulled the boot uh down and it had to be open at one time it has a hex breech plug in it??? Not a line anyplace to see. Still the idea seems good except you couldnt choke your bore at the muzz. I cant even guess how it was done now? Witch craft maybe? nothing would shock me now. :grin: :hatsoff: Fred

It's funny you talk about shooting cans floating by, I had the sheriff called on me 30 years ago for doing that. I was using a brass barreled UH BB gun that I had made. It sounded like a 38 when it went off with about 4 grains of 4F. A friend and I were on the beach in the winter and picking cans up, throwing them in the river and trying to sink them before they got out of range. We were looking for more cans when a deputy came up and asked what we were doing. I told him we were shooting cans with a BB gun. He turned and walked off mumbling, didnt even ask to see the gun, said someone told him we were shooting a 357.
Price to put a kit together? I would need to see one. The H&A kits that I have seen just need a lot of polish, machine work is all done. I don't want to get into doing the handwork of polish. I will do machine work and drill/tap holes. Part of having a kit is putting it together with your own hands, doing the finish work and polish. I make my money running machines, if I have to do the filing and polish I'm loosing money because no one wants to pay for the hand work. I will make all the parts function and temper springs if need be. Can't give a quote untill I see one.

Hey FW, I got the page your talking about. I'm heading out the door for Jury Duty so I won't be able to post the photos till later today or tonight. Hopefully, I don't get picked for a case that's too involved.

The action is called a Hart Minms Trotter Action. John, when I finally get down to see you, I'll bring the page with me.

Here is the Diagram and pictures.
368430.JPG

368431.JPG

368432.JPG

Ill set up a call with you or E when a kit gets here. It needs drilling,tapping thats all I need done, maybe a half dozen holes, Biggst set back is temping the spring, can you do that ? thanks much , Fred :hatsoff: Big thanks to GMWW for putting it up for me . :thumbsup:

Springs are fun and I can break them just as easy as the next guy. I have made many springs and broke a few, I will do my best on your springs. No problem on drilling your holes, let me know when you are ready. All this talk about UHs got me going on an action of my own. It is going to be a take down model with a lever like on a Remington #4 except the lever will be on the left side and use right hand threads ( I don't have a left hand tap). The frame will be machined from a chunck of douglas barrel ( nice 4140 steel ). Not following anyones plan but it will be simple. Will probably be 45 cal. as I have a nice blank in stock. Thinking half octagon/round with a band.

Hey John, you think you can make one cheap enough to fit the Deer Creek barrels? I'm thinking it would be great to be able to interchange one style of barrels with the different actions.
:thumbsup:
Fred, I'd also be interested to know if your kit would fit the DC barrels. Also if it would come with a pre-inletted butt stock for rookies such as I.

GMWW :grin:

I dont know about hammer thow to nip hole yet but the breech plug is to small to just drop in,5/8th vs .740. Dont know if its as easy to have a part to just slide on or change breech plugs? Im sure we are about to find out. (from one of us) Fred :hatsoff:

I could make one to take their barrels but I don't know about cheep, I'm not using castings. The one I'm making now will not work for 2 reasons, the hammer throw is different and the take down is different. Numrich dosn't have much in the way of parts for the H&A anymore and I havn't checked with any of the other supplyers for hammers, springs, and triggers. I could probably copy an H&A frame if someone had the other parts it would save some money.

I need to get a hold of you anyway , think GMWW gave me a E or something for you . What parts would you need, I think Ive got all of them (a few of each part for the H+A)As soon as my parts from MLBS comes Ill know about line up. Fred :hatsoff:

The parts that would help out would be the hammer, trigger and hammer spring, The hammer and trigger are castings and would take quite a while to machine from bar stock. Screws are easy to make. Looks to me like both ends of the action are machined and then the action is bent then the groove is cut for the hammer and trigger then the holes are drilled.

Its not that hard a deal (I think) 3 1/8 pins and 5 or 6 holes 3 of those threaded. I belive I can mark them all. Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back