• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is an Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
The Forgotten Step-Child The Underhammer.
355883.JPG
355881.JPG

Over a relatively short period of time I’ve been interested in the history of a unique gun I’ve come into possession of. It’s the Underhammer Muzzleloader. Until recently I’ve never heard of it or maybe just passed it off as an anomaly. The information I’ve been able to glean has been difficult to find as this gun seems to have fallen through the historical cracks. It has not captured the attention of many gun writers. As a result most people don't understand what role the Underhammer has played in US history. However the more information I’ve been able to dig up has convinced me the Underhammer is more than an anomaly. This forgotten gun was used in both civilian and military hands. They were owned by Nobility, a US President and civilians. With the help of a kind fellow in Smith, Tx. by the name of Fred White I was able to gather the following brief information. Fred White is an Underhammer enthusiast who sent me a book and copies of periodicals he has dug up in the past about the Underhammer Muzzleloader.

What prompted this post was a heated discussion as to just "How" traditional the Underhammer was to the US prior to 1840. This is a quote from a poster after I posted the below list of US Underhammer gun makers of the past.

The info you posted about the Buggy rifles is very interesting. It is also very deceptive, but at least it is suppposed to be backed by reality. The spin is quite interesting also. After posting that list of builders, will you now post the number of guns produced by all of them before 1840? It is less than 100 built in the US before 1840. Still, the list makes an impressive display when spin is more important than fact.

Needless to say a gauntlet was thrown down by the other person to prove more than 100 Underhammers were ever produced by the list of known US gun builders found on US Underhammers. Obviously it would be impossible to list let alone find the actual number of Underhammers made by all the gun maker in the US at that time. I will however show that more than 100 were made by 1840. This post is the result of that challenge. Additionally, the purpose of this little thread is to give some information about a relatively unknown ML and it's historical background and possible modern applications. It is also to counter what appears to be faulty information about the Underhammers existence prior to 1840 that has appeared on the internet.

What is an Underhammer?

The Underhammer was developed for several reasons. By having the ignition under the barrel it was no longer in close proximity of the shooters eyes. It was somewhat safer from flying debris and less distracting. Most debris is forced downwards in a safe direction away from the eyes. Also the location of the powder or percussion cap meant it was out of the wet weather when it rained. The ignition also allowed for the spark/flame to go directly into the powder under the barrel rather then a 90 degree bend like other weapons. Many find it to be very reliable as a result. Most underhammers were simplistic in there moving parts. One of the simplest designs incorporates three moving parts. It consisted of a main spring which was also the trigger guard, a trigger and a hammer.

362869.JPG

Brief History

First known documented Underhammer is from Germany. It is a flintlock circa 1740. It has a 42” round rifled barrel. Rifling is 7 grooves and strait. It is a .685 Cal. It was from the personal armory of the Grand Duke of Saxe Weimar, at Etterburg Castle, Saxony. It is in the W. Keith Neal Collection. It is beautiful!
362603.JPG

On the US side of the Underhammer history Mr. Herschel C. Logan who wrote the book The Pictorial History of the Underhammer gun documents a large number of American Underhammer found with American Gun makers names on them. The earliest gun maker listed is C. Bird & Co (Bird Bros.) from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who dates from 1790-1830.

Herschel lists approximately 150 American Makers or Agents who’s names appear on the antique underhammers. They span a time line from 1790-1900. The states which these guns were made are as follows, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia, and Vermont. The interest was not limited to just a small area but rather pretty much the who country in it’s early history.

Here is a list of names of U.S. gun makers who's names were found on underhammers on page 74 of his book. This is the first page of three in alphabetical order.

:grin:

Thanks for the info that is more than i have found in a year of searching the net myself. very informative. :hatsoff:

Thanks you for posting this information. I am new to M/L and had seen many posts about underhammers, was wondering what it was all about? Now I have a better understanding. The only problem is that I now want one :grin:

I am currently over my "gun allowance" for the year :( Bought 2 sidelocks over the Christmas Holidays.

hanks for compiling and sharing this info on the underhammer. You have greatly expanded my knowledge base.
I hope others can glean from your efforts!

Brett sr

thanks to gmww and fw for the info. as a shooter of underhammers, i really liked the articles and photos. wk1

Thanks for all the info!

I enjoy reading about Underhammers! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I didn't realize the underhammer went back as far as the flintlock period. Thanks for the post. It was very informative.
:thumbsup:

Great Job!! Now all I really need is an underhammer flintlock, since I never can have enough of each, and I can tell the CFO I only got one rifle instead of two :grin: :rotf: :grin:

Canerod

The underhammer will always have a special place in my heart. I was the only lefty in a family of righties. Dad found a broken H&A buggy rifle and we restocked it together. I still remember strolling the booths at Friendship feeling very important, because we were picking out "MY" front sight.

I still have that rifle. It was the first BP rifle my wife shot (she's a lefty) and will be the first one my son shoots.

miles_uh.jpg

Yeah, it wasn't PC for a canoe trip for furs down the Maumee, but I sure put some lead out of it!

:applause: Lets see what can be found on The underhammer flintlock. like drawings or sketches. Given some I can build one. Bob

This is the only other photo in the book of the flintlock. I hope this helps at least a little. If you do make one, please post it!

363348.JPG

Very nice Underhammer. What calib., barrel length and twist is it? Any idea of it's age?

Thanks,

GMWW

I am the unfortunate other poster that posted old info from years ago and got slammed with the original copy of this. I still do not believe a lot of what was posted, and I think a great deal of it has been spun to try and push the dates back. It really doesn't matter tho. Sideslappers and underhammers are not allowed to compete at the shoots I attend. That is not going to change anytime soon.
To believe a lot of that posting would require back up of the claims made. That is not saying the info is wrong. To me it is unproven. I have seen nothing to support most of the claims made.

GMWW, allow me to correct tjis with its Wright not White, and I've tryed to take a pic of 48er from the back sight but it always blurs,send you a drawing with other mag stuff I got done today. The guy that jumped you on that page you led me to souned like a nut case at best, you should of told him to go ck Remingtons or State prison records, they show how many barrels came in and went out (its not like they would let a loose barrel or two float around is it. Someone in Germany makes a flintlock uh, my brother knows how to get a hold of the guy that knows the maker, I'll ask him to ask next time he's in town. You think about it flintlock was easy the spark goes up ect. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Fred

How about a little back up for your claims? What records located where are you using to determine that thousands of Underhammer guns were made before 1840? One specific detailed report would be nice. Not a gun with a name on it and a guess that it came from this gunsmith at this time. Not an estimate. Specific records to back your claims. Of course, I am just a nut I guess. Situation is this tho. I did not make the claims you have. You did. How about backing them up. I am only interested in the pre 1840 production.

Runner said:
How about a little back up for your claims? What records located where are you using to How about backing them up. I am only interested in the pre 1840 production.

In a quick look I found 14 Makers or Agents that were 1940 or earlier. There are nearly 200 listed in Herschel Logan's book of Underhammers.

Latest posts

Back