• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is about a Hawken Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevew

40 Cal
Reaction score
My first muzzleloader rifle was TC Hawken that I still have. I bought a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken that I never even pulled the trigger on. I have always liked the poor boy style rifles also so I let the Pedersoli go and had a custom made Appalachian style
poor boy built by Kevin Blevins. This too is an exceptional rifle. With all that being said I find myself wanting a custom made Hawken. I don't know why I keep navigating back to Hawken rifles. I guess it's just in my blood. Any of you have this same problem?

Oh yes. I built three LGP .54 kits over the years. Gave them to friends and family years ago. Gave one to my step dad. Bought a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain rifle but it was too beautiful to shoot or fondle so I sold it. Now my step dad (end stage poor health) is returning the one I gave him years ago which he never fired. I’m glad to have a plains style rifle back in the fold. Especially since my wife and I just returned from the Yellowstone/Grand Teton/Bridger area. Those National Park visits really get the juices flowing.
DF32C81B-FDCC-432B-95C5-48D920773B5F.jpeg

I have seven Hawken style rifles. Among them are a Santa Fe Hawken, a Log Cabin Hawken [same gun, both built by Uberti] and a full-stock Hawken so pretty I hate to shoot/carry it [thanks Gangreen]. Can't really get very interested in any other style. Polecat

Yes "deerstalkert" hit it right. The first time you shoulder
the Hawken it just FITS and points naturally. Everyone
else styles off of that. Personally, I like the Interarms made
Hawken Carbine. In the Piney woods & Palmettos, climbing
through thickets and vines, that Carbine is the First Class
Ticket. If you are beginning muzzleloading start with a
Hawken type Flint or Cap Rifle. For hand gun the 1851 Colt
in 36cal-- With those two items only, let the fun begin!

I have a T/C Hawken, a Santa Fe Hawken, a Log Cabin Hawken (Uberti), a Lyman GPR, and a custom St Louis Hawken from Don Stith. I have a hard time choosing which one to hunt with each year. They are all great shooters and reliable killers out to 100 yards but I rarely shoot at game further than 50 yards. Hawkens just come up to your shoulder and feel right. It's great to have good choices!

I know I really like my LGP rifle, .50 cal percussion. I’ve always thought the attraction to the Hawken style is that they more closely match a modern rifle in handling, and to a certain degree in looks too since they are usually half-stock.

In the early 90’s I had a T/C Flint Hawken really good shooter and looked nice I sold it to fund a custom Hawken build that never transpired sorry to say. After reading these post I just may get around to a winter project, yes I think I just might……

Jim that's what I would like to do, a custom Hawken rifle. Anybody know how much a completed rifle from the Hawken Shoppe costs?

Jim that's what I would like to do, a custom Hawken rifle. Anybody know how much a completed rifle from the Hawken Shoppe costs?
I have no idea but the kit starts at $1400 and goes up depending on the stock grade one chooses. The kits are 95% inletted.

I am no expert on Hawkens so here goes there is a full stock Hawken Flinter but not a half stock flint just Precusion?

My first muzzleloader rifle was TC Hawken that I still have. I bought a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken that I never even pulled the trigger on. I have always liked the poor boy style rifles also so I let the Pedersoli go and had a custom made Appalachian style
poor boy built by Kevin Blevins. This too is an exceptional rifle. With all that being said I find myself wanting a custom made Hawken. I don't know why I keep navigating back to Hawken rifles. I guess it's just in my blood. Any of you have this same problem?

I began my search for a good half-stock percussion rifle in late 1973. Read what I could find. Decided on the TC "Hawken" kit. Found The Longrifle Shop in Richardson TX. On entering the shop, I saw a few authentic Hawken rifles on the wall. I knew I'd found what I didn't know I was looking for! I went home with a kit of parts from Cherry Corners, a GR Douglas barrel in 54 cal. and a set of blueprints of Kit Carson's Hawken, and a walnut semi-inlet stock. This kit cost me more than a finished TC sold for, but I was stoked! A lot of work and a few mistakes later, and I had a rifle I STILL admire and love to shoot! I went on to compete (and win!) with it. Later I built several for others, and finally got a Hawken Shoppe kit from the Original Hawken Shoppe in St Louis. It is my crowning achievement! It is heavier, being a copy of Jim Bridger's Hawken.
"But it's a genuine Hawken! Ya can't git none finer!"

I have seven Hawken style rifles. Among them are a Santa Fe Hawken, a Log Cabin Hawken [same gun, both built by Uberti] and a full-stock Hawken so pretty I hate to shoot/carry it [thanks Gangreen]. Can't really get very interested in any other style. Polecat
Shucks, USE the darn things! They were made to shoot, we can't take them "with us" one day, and honest use enhances the 'aura' of a nice rifle. Untouched guns are called "safe queens"!

Shucks, USE the darn things! They were made to shoot, we can't take them "with us" one day, and honest use enhances the 'aura' of a nice rifle. Untouched guns are called "safe queens"!
You are right, of course. I will use it but regret every scratch. Gangreen made it several years ago and did a great job. He used it and I will. :thumb: Polecat

I have loved my hawken's and still have a lot left, but geez the older I get the heavier they get and a real hawken isn't a TC Hawken that is half the weight.

Kits from The Hawken Shop are $1,400.00 and finished rifles are $2,995.00. There are wood upgrades available at extra charge. Our barrels are from Rice and all other component parts are made in house from original part patterns and tooling. The barrels are marked S. Hawken, St. Louis. Our rifles are historically correct and are a direct continuation of the 1825 St. Louis enterprise.

Back