• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is a Mini Cannon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odentheviking

40 Cal.
Reaction score
An opinion question for the forum,
What is a mini or miniature cannon, as compaired to a scaled or light gun?
Other words, is any thing other than a full size piece a "Mini Cannon" or do you consider the break when a gun must use a cannon ball vs. a pistol or musket ball?
Thank you for your consideration.
Paul

OK, I do have an opinion but I felt the answer was so obvious that I didn't need to get involved.

FWIW, my opinion: A mini cannon is a table top gun, a scale model, something you can carry around in one hand without effort, small caliber (I guess that using a pistol ball or a BB would qualify). Small & sexy, think mini skirt. Something with a 5/8" or larger bore is way beyond a mini cannon

Thank you Hawkeye2,
That is an interesting perspective! I asked because there seems to be groups to join for folks that have Full scale down to half scale cannons, but nothing for us that enjoy the smaller scale stuff. I have four of the 1/5th scale older CVA Napoleons and a half dozen of the older CVA Ironside cannons and no where,(but here), to talk about and get advice on these guns. For example: there was a thread about making your own cannon balls and it was stated "Never use Lead!", but I have been shooting lead balls for years. I finally asked and it was explained they were talking about the larger scale cannon.
This is a very special forum as I see almost no trolling, insults, or attacks on folks that may ask a dumb question,(like I will do from time to time), and may only have 10 or less posts. On some forums there are 10 or 15 guys that live on there and love to attack the new fish!
Thanks to all here for being such Gentlemen and Ladies!
Paul.

I'd say a mini cannon is any small cannon that would be ineffective in a combat situation.
Many of the scaled down cannon out there would still be effective to clear decks or punch holes in another ships hull.

So I'd say {IMHO} it becomes a "mini cannon" as opposed to a scale down model when it would be useless in a situation where a cannon might be useful.

My personal feelings are that a mini cannon is something virtually without combat utility compared to a small cannon that could actually serve a combat purpose, like a deck clearing swivel gun. Perhaps another way to look at it is anything of a caliber equal or less than a shoulder held musket. While I know there were some around one inch bore. Most common muskets were 80 caliber or less.

I have heard of miniatures included in cannon get togethers, but more as a novelty than anything.

My 1.25 inch bronze cannon could actually serve a purpose as a cannon. Whereas my 50 caliber cannon has far less utility in combat than a 50 caliber flintlock pistol.

Paul Bennett said:
So out of 40 folks on this forum only ONE has an opinion?
This is an odd forum!

Actually, it is a bit of a strange question, IMHO. I have a collection of minature cannons. Most are non-shooters. Several are capable of shooting but not with projectile. One is a ca. 1800 signal cannon. It was built as a signal cannon. Bore is 1" barrel about a foot long. According to an expert that examined it, signal cannons were often used for communication. They could signal events, good and bad, warn of enemy approach and even to give directions to expected travelers when there were no roads or signs. If there is a breaking point in size where a cannon becomes a "mini" I'll have to wait on others to chime in with that information.
cannonreduced.jpg
[/URL][/img]

While I don't have a good definition of a mini cannon, a true scale cannon in my opinion is an exact reproduction of a full sized piece where the dimensions are scaled down to a certain size. Example 3/4 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/5 scaled ect. ect.

A scaled cannon can be a mini cannon but not all mini cannon are scale cannon.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

SC45-70

I guess I have a mini/scale cannon. It falls into the range of both. It' is a scale replica of a 1" swivel cannon but it's only 2 foot long.---So is a full scale 2foot long 1"bore, ships swivel cannon a mini cannon? Then again I have a 1" bore signal cannon thats a 1/4 scale replica of a Mt. Howitzer. Is this a mini-cannon or a scale replica cannon, or both? I guess the Key words are "scale replica".

That is great! You are very correct...... "Mini cannon" is the wrong term. "Scale Replica" describes exactly my question.

Paul Bennett said:
That is great! You are very correct...... "Mini cannon" is the wrong term. "Scale Replica" describes exactly my question.

That is so much clearer. Mini cannon is like Mini Mart - just a term without a formal or obvious definition, so naturally I didn't answer your original post.

YEEHA for scale replica cannon. Real ones are great too!

I have looked around and can find no exact definition for the term "Mini Cannon". So, I would suppose that when one uses the term, it would have whatever definition the conversants agreed upon. Beyond that, :idunno:

Thank you Chris and Bill,
I have to agree "Scale Replica Cannon" is a much better term to describe what we are doing as compared to the potato cannon, lighter fluid cannon, etc.....
My big question now is what would you say are the bore/caliber ranges?
I am thinking about 1inch or smaller. Any bigger and you get into the golfball shooters and it seems all "scale" and "replica" goes out the window. Or is it better to use "scale" as the key as maybe 1/4 scale and smaller?
I know this sounds crazy and a waste of time to some..... When friends come over to the house and see a half dozen scale ACW field pieces in differant stages of repair in the living room, I just wanted a simple two or three word explanation for my odd hobby!

Back