• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is a Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Firstly, I know hawken was a brand, in a way still is with the Hawken Shop.

But I've seen a lot of references to hawken "replicas" such as what Robert Redford used in JJ, the gemmer hawken rifles etc.

Now I admit I'm untrained but whenever I read about Hawken brother rifles with accompanying photos to my eyes they are different beasts altogether.

Is it that the Hawken brothers Mountain rifle is a thing of its own and others made copies that are similar to what we see now or somewhere along the lines did was there a bastardisation of the meaning of hawken?

Can someone educate me on what hawken rifles actually are and what isn't a hawken.

Hawkens are guns made by that family, or those they sold the name to, period.
Howsomever the name in the 1970s got applied to shorter, large bore mostly half stock rifles.
So Buckskinner Bob will get nervous if you say Hawken when talking about a gun like the Thomas center, that doesn’t look much like the origanal. While others will use the word indiscriminately
Just to muddy the waters The brothers Hawken made full stock, small bore, brass and silver mounted guns, and even shot guns. They’re Hawkens but not because we like to think of their plains guns as Hawkens.
Then to their dad was building southren mountain rifles, and Jacob spent some time making Maryland style rifles.
In the mean time by 1840 half stock large bore guns came common by several makers. And the Brits fell in love with that style, including the scroll trigger guard
So….
If your with afancinardos you only say Hawken when you mean Hawken even if it’s a shot gun, or a Maryland, if your not you can call your TC a Hawken or a Leman or tge Great Plains rifle that does look a lot more Hawken.
Hawken, the half stock big bore made by Jake and Sam, were part of a trend. They did not invent it though they made one of the best and certainly the most famous. English started playing with that design starting about 1790. The Ohio and Michigan style grew up in a dainty rifle of that type, while the army made the 1803, all before Jake moved to Saint Louis. Leman was turning out his guns, good but not as robust, about the same timing Jake and Sam were making ‘classic Hawkens’
‘Clear as mud fat cover de ground, and de confusion make me head go round’

Last edited:
Think of "Hawken" like Kleenex or Q-tip. We tend to call all facial tissues "Kleenex" and all cotton swabs "Q-tips" even though they are not all that brand; just like we tend to call all half stock muzzleloaders with patch boxes and brass trim a Hawken, even if not made by or are a true Hawken.

90A109F4-D5D5-40AF-9983-35FBAAB78CA0.jpeg
This is a Thompson Center Hawken but it’s only slightly similar to a real Hawken. It’s still a good gun though.

Yip
Dad Hawken was from Hagerstown, Marylan

Think of "Hawken" like Kleenex or Q-tip. We tend to call all facial tissues "Kleenex" and all cotton swabs "Q-tips" even though they are not all that brand; just like we tend to call all half stock muzzleloaders with patch boxes and brass trim a Hawken, even if not made by or are a true Hawken.
There's Hawken rifles - made by Dan or family. Then there are Hawken style rifles. It's kinda like Bowie knives. If it's the true Bowie (very rare) it was made by James Black, the blacksmith that James Bowie had make his knife. But everybody and their sister make "Bowie" knives. Most don't even resemble the real Bowie. Mine was made by Sheffield in London. Only reason it's a Bowie is they used the plans from the James Black patent. So the design is right, but it's still really a Bowie style knife. Worth about 5 beaver in 1827.

Great explanation

Back