• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is a good hunting photo?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been hunting big game for over 40 years, taken a lot of photos, and most all of them were of little value. I think composition is the hard part to get right. Time must be taken to find the right spot that not only does decent to the kill but lets the viewer in on the terrain. The last few years I've put more effort into it just trying to get a couple of decent ones. I'm not sure how successful I've been.
SS850183.jpg

SS850061.jpg

I was wearing camo and didn't want rocks thrown at me. I made the gun with one of the first GM 1" - 28" twist barrels. They quit making those barrels. I purchased two barrels and sold the other hawken I made. They were tack drivers. I shot this deer on the south Utah border. Very close to the Gunsmoke movie set.

t
Hawken - 28 twist.JPG

I like the ones that show the bow or gun used. I usually take the pictures where the animal ended up, if possible.
A lot of the time I’m in a rush to get the animal gutted and skinned/hung. This means my pictures are usually rushed

I don't normally take photo's, but this was a mile stone for me, I made the bow from osage, made the arrow shaft from some red ash, fletched it from a Turkey I killed, and hammered out the broached from an old saw blade. It, the pic, is pre digital, is of poor composition and use of ambient light, not very sharp either, but all that seems to make it a very good hunting photo to me. So I guess its all in how you look at it sometimes.
View attachment 44891
I really like quality, well done pictures like Brit does, but I like these homey, hokey ones too.
Robby
I loved the fact that you did it with a STICK BOW. not many people use a LONG BOW!!

I always like to take a photo with either a person or weapon to use as a size comparison. Often times I lay the weapon across the body of whatever I'm hunting, but occasionally I like to just compare myself to the size. I'm 6'5" tall, so that gives a person a good idea of the size of this hog..
WOW!! now that sure is SOME BACON!! what was the weight?

For ROBBY AND RUDYARD..
A keeper would a shooting go
And under his cloak he carried a bow
For to shoot at a merry little doe
Among the leaves so green Oh,

The first doe he shot at he missed
The second doe he trimly kissed
The third doe went where nobody whist
Among the leaves so green Oh.

The forth doe went ore the plane
The keeper fetched her back again
Where hers gone her 'ul likely remain
Among the leaves so green Oh.

The Chorus between verses is sung as a round ---

To my hey down down
Ho down do down
Hey down Ho down
Dery dery down
Among the leaves so green Ho.

Originally---
The Does were Likely the Village Maidens.
A bit more Old Country useless information from OLD DOG..
I like it. never herd of it before. where was it taken from?

Before cell phones and electronic storage of images , I took photo's by the stack of my son's hunts and some of my own. Had easily an 8 " high bundle of them So , my well meaning fastidious wife thought she would surprise us by putting all the pictures in an album . The album had clear acetate film mounting pockets as individual pages in it. Problem w/ this was the photo display film reacted with the picture images and caused the images to disappear. The only images of the hunts w/ my son , RIP , are left in my memory. Wife says , "How can you remember minute details of each hunt, but can't remember our wedding anniversary ? " I refuse to answer on the grounds of self incrimination..........oldwood

WOW!! now that sure is SOME BACON!! what was the weight?
It hit just under the 300 lb. mark. Boars of these larger sizes are not worth keeping and I just haul them off to my bonepile for the buzzards, coyotes, etc.... to dine on. I've dropped many there in the 200 lb. range and they are gone by the next morning. Mighty hungry critters out there !!

Sometimes it's not about the subject it's more the background and the setting. Here's a photo of myself doing a period trek on the Missouri river with a friend of mine. He took the photo using my camera, the photo has a haunting look to it, the river was misty and it was winter so the lighting was dark and the trees bare. The canoe is a wood canvas that I had restored and I can assure had we capsized it during that time of year we probably would not have survived.

Attachments

• trek.jpg
    trek.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 51
Back