• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what inlays would have been correct?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what inlays or carvings would have been correct for a 1700s southern SC/NC flintlock? would they have had any at all? or few and far in between,,,,,,,,,,,,

Guns evolved over the course of 100 between 1700 & 1799. You need to be more specific as to timeframe. That said, a quick look thru my copy of "Gunsmiths of the Carolinas" (James Whisker, et all) shows inlays only on guns with the deep cresent buttplate typical of very late 18th c & more popular into the earlier 19th c, or, where the maker is known, mostly 1820s - 40s.
M.E.S.D.A. in Old Salem published a great book on Carolina guns a few years ago but I cannot recall the title - hopefully someone else can.

i was thinking around 1770-1790
Do you have pictures and measurements of a number of SC/NC rifles of the period? What is the architecture like? I’m sure there is a fair bit of variation. That’s 20 years and lots of geography. What are the buttplates and trigger guards like?
Most American rifles of the period had few inlays if any. Sometimes a star on the cheekpiece.

Inlays really took off 1790s up to 1830s. One might see wrist or cheek plate stars. South didn’t go much in to it. Even keyed guns were seen with out a plate around the key hole.

yea, I have no idea. I see a lot of southern guns built with no inlays. just curious and would like to learn. I love the story of kings mountain in 1780 and was wondering if any of those rifles used by the "over the mountain men" would have had any decoration or would have been just plain,,,,,,,,,,,,

There was a Moravian population in 1700's South Carolina. There is an excellent book, 'Moravian Gunmaking of the American Revolution' Two volume's, with many pictures of those beautiful old guns.
There is also this book by Michael Briggs, and Blake Sevenson, an excellent book!!
https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/briggs_book.pdfGood luck in your search, half the fun of it sometimes.
Robby

There was a Moravian population in 1700's South Carolina. There is an excellent book, 'Moravian Gunmaking of the American Revolution' Two volume's, with many pictures of those beautiful old guns.
There is also this book by Michael Briggs, and Blake Sevenson, an excellent book!!
https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/briggs_book.pdfGood luck in your search, half the fun of it sometimes.
Robby
Robby, "Moravian Gunmaking of the American Revolution" book is on amazon for 800.00! hardcover, there is one on ebay for 600.00 i am sure it is a fine book but for that price i will stay ignorant! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have often wondered why the dragon is so popular for the sideplate. Seems to me the dragon is more of an asian figure, not early American.
This is an I Think.
Guns made for use at sea, aboard ship or made as the private arm of a merchant ships mate or captain, and the simi private/public ships that traded on americas coast often had a sea serpents as side plates.
These guns went from ships guns to guns for a hungry population. Trade guns before the trade fusil was standardized. And as cheap guns to settlers. Quickly after a few years children born needed a gun. And guns broke and wore out. So the sea serpents became popular. Only after the fact did the sea serpents become a dragon. Even on the NWG a close look at the dragon reviles a sea serpent.

Were there ever any inlays for marking a Cheek Weld spot? Something that the shooter could feel with the cheek to be sure of consistent position?

Years ago when I was really into shooting my M1 Garand, I read a Bob Milek article where he analyzed different shooter problems, and included targets with shot patterns. The target shot pattern that matched my shooting was labeled "inconsistent cheek weld." I tied a length of parachute cord, with a Knot, in a position for my cheek. Result: my shot patterns Shrank significantly.

I'm thinking about designing a piece of jewelry to set into the stock of a Kit Rifle. Bonus: My wife makes jewelry, and it won't hurt our marriage if I ask her for something that she can make.

Slight thread drift but reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask. Nowadays we have all kinds of adhesives for bonding almost anything but what did the old gun makers use to hold their inlays in place ?

Robby, "Moravian Gunmaking of the American Revolution" book is on amazon for 800.00! hardcover, there is one on ebay for 600.00 i am sure it is a fine book but for that price i will stay ignorant! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Yikes!!!!!
Ol. I got my Volume one from the KRA for around $50-60 if I remember correctly. The KRA has Volume two on sale for $85, their books are very high quality and I'm going to buy this one too. If that is truly the going price for Vol. one, I will have to treat it with a more tender hand.Good luck!!!
Robby

Back