• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What if any difference? Dixie vs. Pedersoli ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would have been a good time to ask what special features are included in the ones made just for them.

A friend just bought at 1861 Navy revolver from MidwayUSA - came in a Taylors & Co. Box.
I did ask. Werent really helpful. Said it's just the same one as the original....I'm still skeptical about it though.

Another thing to remember is most of us shooting in competition are shooting are shooting freshly-cast ammo with fresh lube on them.

Period US expanding ball ammunition was put up in paper cartridges in paper bundles of 10 and put up in wooden crates and shipped by train, boat, and wagon. Thus they were exposed to a lot of jostling, extreme temperatures, and humidity. The British discovered that tallow caused oxidation of the lead which caused the bullets to grow slightly in size, which is one reason why they switched eventually to 100% beeswax as their lubricant.

US bullets were put into paper cartridges, but the bullet was removed from the paper prior to firing. It was loaded "naked". If the cartridges had been exposed to high temperatures, the lubricant would melt and be soaked up by the paper cartridge. Thus the lube was lost from the bullet.

This means that you could be shooting ammunition that was possibly corroded, and possibly with little or no lubricant still on the bullet. In addition you had variation in bullet sizes due to wear of sizing dies and different dies from different arsenals and commercial sources. In addition you had variation in bore sizes.

Steve

The Mississippi (1841) rifle is my favorite rifle of that period. I bought mine from "Jarnagin's" going on 20 years ago and had to special order it to get the original .54. It came through Euroarms back then. Also the price was not much more than half what DGW was selling them for. Plus DGW only listed .58 which I didn't want. It was indeed a good deal.

When the rifle finally arrived I was amazed. The stock was walnut and the fit & finish was as good as most custom longrifles I've seen. It shot high as guns of that era were most all supposed to do. It didn't particularly like conicals when I tested them, but it loved prb. At 60 yards it grouped at about 1" and didn't produce any fliers. I took deer with the rifle but never hunted with it all that much. Reason? Well, it weighed 10 lbs - 5 or 6 oz much to close to 10-1/2 lbs.

Back