• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What I do during "Lockdown".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She goes bang for the first time. After shooting a few times I can hit a beer can at 25 yds.​
IMG_5809.PNG

Well done to say the least, mister Barry. May I ask what steel you used for the strikers?
Thank you. I used old Nicholson files. Haven't tried any other brand of files but if they are old and high carbon steel should work as well. I have experimented with quenching in both oil and water and both seem to work so far. I annealed them before forging to shape also.

I went out and shot my $125 pair of Spanish guns this afternoon. The CVA Kentucky pistol does very well indeed. After filing the front sight and tinkering with some right to left adjustment I shot the center out of the target at 25 yards. From a bench with a bag. The Jukar rifle shoots ok, not great. The barrel has a lot of rough machining ridges that make loading hard. I can feel the patch grinding its way down the barrel. All of my shots were fired with a wad over the powder and the patches that I recovered looked pretty good. I went ahead and shot the postal match with it since I had it out but I'm going to try some steel wool to see if I can smooth it out some.

I figure that is the best way to learn. Starting out the less expensive route with mostly CVA parts and cheap stocks. Hope to come out of this with a couple of nice shooting 54 cal Hawkens. Only 300.00 Invested in parts with just a few more to get. Which thread should I use if I post the journey? Builders or percussion?
Where did you get all the materials to start that project? looks like fun? and relatively cost effective :thumb:

I was watching Stillwater wood crafts and noted he had a good set up for trekking using a double strap snap sack and blanket roll carried above it. Looks comfortable. Thinking I’ll give it a try. I got some canvas laying around unused.
I made one of these 20 years ago for a fall squirrel hunt and "pack in" worked great, comfortably packing in all that I needed for the weekend, including a shelter I used a drawing of something like this in a F&I War book..made several for the rest of the group.

I was watching Stillwater wood crafts and noted he had a good set up for trekking using a double strap snap sack and blanket roll carried above it. Looks comfortable. Thinking I’ll give it a try. I got some canvas laying around unused.

Pistol project. The wood was donated by a friend of mine. It is a piece of walnut that I have cut three blanks out of. This is the second pistol from that chunk of wood. The walnut is not very dense but usable, it has some nice mineral streaks in it that will give it some character. Instead of a metal forend tip I am using horn. The barrel is a H&H 40 caliber out of my box of barrels. The lock is a Davis late English. I have not decided yet but I might do some wire work on this one. It has a long way to go yet but I always enjoy the shaping of wood.

Attachments

• P1090713 (1).JPG
    P1090713 (1).JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 117
Pistol project. The wood was donated by a friend of mine. It is a piece of walnut that I have cut three blanks out of. This is the second pistol from that chunk of wood. The walnut is not very dense but usable, it has some nice mineral streaks in it that will give it some character. Instead of a metal forend tip I am using horn. The barrel is a H&H 40 caliber out of my box of barrels. The lock is a Davis late English. I have not decided yet but I might do some wire work on this one. It has a long way to go yet but I always enjoy the shaping of wood.
The stock look real smooth to me, and I like the grain.
Also I like the file and chisel rack, can you post a photo of it?

We all started somewhere, even Mr. Kibler. I am a firm believer that anything you build by hand is a trophy. Sure it will likely have a few warts and imperfections, but that's what makes it unique and one of a kind. I am my biggest critic because I always strive for perfection. Thank God my wife is my biggest fan, as she always loves my projects even when I'm not completely satisfied.

Back