• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Holsters Do You Use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None currently. But when I had a .36 Colt Navy I used a slim jim. For my Ruger Old Army I had a Ruger special issue full flap but also occasionally used Uncle Mike's synthetic hip, cross-draw or under shoulder styles made for modern Blackhawks. Functional and protected the piece.

I frequently use mine at Cowboy matches and have settled on a variety of Slim Jim holsters. The two just look like they belong together.

Slim Jim style from El Paso Saddlery for a Colt 1851 Navy and Colt 1860 Army revolver.

You can't go wrong with slim jims or a half flap for civilian use. Military should be a full flap worn on the right for a left hand draw. If you were doing a Confederate impression than any of the above would work though the full flap keeps the gun dry and clean and prevents it falling out at a bad time. Oklahoma Leather holsters work well for me. Avoid any holster in which the belt loop wraps around the body of the holster as they are not correct for the time. The loop should be sewn and/or riveted to the back of the body. If you are serious I recomend "Packing Iron: Gun Leather of the Frontier West" by Richard C. Rattenbury.

I have 6 Remingtons, one of which I sometimes use as a match gun and my wife shoots a Remington.

Slim Jim for the Navy just looks the part.Now does the color really matter? I'm supposing brown would fit right in for Confederate?

This is my engraved Pietta Remington and the holster I made for it--slim and form fitting.
PietaRemingtonengr.jpg

I'm not too worried about speed myself. In drawing, aiming, reloading etc. There are no Comanches or other Bad Guys pouring over that ridge.

Back