• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What have you done to further the muzzleloading hobby?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked the firing line at the Hawken Classic.

I represented historical reenacting at Fort de Chartres by participating in the several ceremonies and represented the material culture of the 18th Century by participating in the fashion show.

I've always allowed my son and daughter shooting with me if they wanted too. From time to time they would have friends over from high school, as long as I knew the parents, the friends would shoot too. Operation and safety first.

I've set up at a couple shows, along with a few items for sale, I enjoyed stories and offered advice on where to get parts, cleaning techniques, shooting and the like.

My most memorable time; my son was home between sophomore and junior year at the USAFA, his friend from Chicago spent the night as they were bringing their cars back to the academy. Plus, my sons close friends from high school come to visit before he left again for the academy. I had made deer jerky that morning, set some meat out to grill for supper so I asked "what do you fellows want to do". It was unanimous they wanted to "go shooting". We started with flint, percussion, black powder cartridge and ended with modern guns. I explained the time period each was used, the civilian and military applications. I couple things caught my attention, a couple boys wanted to go back and shoot the flintlock because they thought it was so darn neat and the fellow from Chicago simply couldn't believe all we had to do to go shooting was walk out to the back yard. Something I supposed I have taken for granted the last 40+ years. Supper that evening was filled with the stories of the young men's shooting skills. We ended they day with a little more fellowship around a campfire.

Went shooting golf balls the other day...I really enjoyed that!

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 10.11.19 AM.png

I worked the firing line at the Hawken Classic.

I represented historical reenacting at Fort de Chartres by participating in the several ceremonies and represented the material culture of the 18th Century by participating in the fashion show.
I really enjoyed shooting that "heavy" Hawken gun that weekend, thanks for the opportunity.

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 10.27.27 AM.png

Nothing lately as far a muzzleloading but I did show a nephew some "primative" shooting techniques.Slingshots and marbles at my steel gong. I feel just the revolver and the rifles hanging on the wall might spark some interest. Being a role model can be fun and have a positive effect. I hope he's thinking "Wow, that's something Dad (or my mother's boyfriend) never showed me".

Last edited:
After 40 years of attending shows and exhibits, I’m hosting one of my own! 15 Nationally recognized tradesmen, a beautiful farm setting in the Virginia mountains, couldn’t ask for more! If anyone is interested, check out visitfairlawnfarm, we’d enjoy meeting new friends Labor Day weekend.

After 40 years of attending shows and exhibits, I’m hosting one of my own! 15 Nationally recognized tradesmen, a beautiful farm setting in the Virginia mountains, couldn’t ask for more! If anyone is interested, check out visitfairlawnfarm, we’d enjoy meeting new friends Labor Day weekend.
That sounds like my kind of gig, I might just swing by and say hello.

During this time of famine for handloaders it only makes sense to have an old timey muzzleloader so you can keep shootin and having fun while others sit at home. So get one and get hooked! I preach this every chance I get, except the getting hooked part. That should come naturally!😏

Garland Ridgerunners are setting up at the Waterford Heritage days in PA. The area doesn’t seem to have many black powder only clubs and we invite anyone to come and shoot with us. We follow MNLRA rules in general ( muzzleloader, roundball and open sights.).

I shoot at the local DNR range, and have been for years. Always get questions from someone vaguely curious, especially if they see the accuracy possible. Always offer to let people shoot them, but have only had a handful of people actually accept the offer.

As a "younger" person who's been shooting BP just over a decade now and having let many friends and family shoot flintlocks/percussion revolvers, the closest anybody has come to joining the hobby is inline guns for deer season.

If the interest in history isnt already prevalent whether it be from books, movies or video games. Handing them a flintlock wont likely push them over the edge.

I take every opportunity, at least on this fine site, to encourage people to look into the NMLRA and perhaps subscribe to Muzzle Blasts, which comes with the membership @ $50/yr. realizing not everyone can budget for that amount.

Muzzleloading does require more attention to detail than modern plinking. It's not for everyone; you MUST clean after shooting or rust will result. New people may be put off by all the patch/ball/loose powder thing, but some people are just intrigued by the whole deal; history buffs, to a great extent.

Well I was & am the last surviving founder of the Sheffield Branch MLAGB & made well over 200 Muzzle loaders did every reenactment going over 60 years put on more displays of guns at public events & school shows . and did Friendship NMLRA more times that I can recount. and repaired of restored a awfull lot of guns & related kit . So that might have furthered the hobby a bit plus writeing a great many articles in many lands. Probably adds up a bit .
Rudyard

Back