• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What have you done to further the muzzleloading hobby?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note, much of the living history folks that used to show up and educate children on black powder guns, and history has been stopped.
That really needs to change as well

I grew up in Savannah, Georgia where living history was a way of life for a number of folks. We always marched in the Georgia Day Parade every year and had to dress as colonists or Indians. There is the colonial muster out at Wormsloe Plantation every spring, various activities at Fort Pulaski, Jackson, and McAllister, and a bunch of historical sites to visit. So I was pretty lucky to be surrounded by such things from birth. Those activities don't seem to be as popular any more. People would prefer to take bloody ghost tours and pub crawls. When I was a mere lad of 15 making my first purchase of liquor in a pub, a pub crawl was you making your way home at the end of the night.

Rendezvous is in decline. Turnout at organized events is down.

I think the cowboy action shooting drew quite a few ml shooters away.

I am messing around with my stone mill. Er better say charcoal for art painting made it last week from some old 10” grind stones it’s a model of a big on we had at our company I don’t think it’s a hood as a tumbler

Attachments

• IMG_2127.MOV
    26.2 MB
I started a new charter club in georgia. Put 10 names on the charter application. Six were brand new nmlra members. Worked with over 1200 folks a year demonstrating and showing them muzzleloaders for 12 years. Started a monthly shoot program and another social shoot at our club specifically for muzzleloaders. Found over 30 members in our gun club that joined our merry band of miscretes. Wanna help? Start a charter club at your gun club. You can only shoot bp outdoors so ranges are needed. Incredible pentup demand here in georgia for folks to shoot with.

I do a lot of shooting at a public DNR range in North Georgia. This range is dominated by black rifle fanatics with a few sporting rifles and reloaders thrown in for good measure.

Every time I show up with a flintlock or even one of my Hawken rifles, I quickly become the center of attention, as many of the shooters have never seen anyone shoot these kind of rifles. The really get interested when I bring in my 80-yard targets that sport groups tighter, sometimes considerably tighter, then their scoped AR groups. That's when the questions about the rifles I shoot start flying, which I am more than happy to put on a black powder shooting clinic on spot.

One of the alarming things is so many young folks have no idea what I am shooting or what era it comes from. When I was a kid, we had TV and movies featuring Davy Crocket, Daniel Boone, Hawkeye and other Colonial and pre-Colonial heroes. I always had an interest in emulating these manliest of men. Not so much today. I always make it a point to let the kids that are present handle and shoot (with a light load) my rifles.

I don't know if if have made any converts to the sport, but I have at least "educated" a few folks about what it is we do.

Our local bunch puts on a small show and tell rendezvous in the city park every year. I try to help out those who shoot a bit find parts, supplies and info and some that want to give it a try can come out to my range and try a few guns if they like. Making a few converts a year.

Youth are online, they use Facebook, Tik Tok, and other social media.

The problem is that most traditionalists are much averse to such communication tools.
Sometimes I wonder if it's because traditionalists are more "doers" instead of "watchers". On Facebook there are many many sites sharing information and doing encampments and the like trying to spread the word.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because traditionalists are more "doers" instead of "watchers". On Facebook there are many many sites sharing information and doing encampments and the like trying to spread the word.

You have computing and social media confused with watching television. The former is two way communication, the latter is entirely passive. What's more, it is a very small fraction of our fraternity that maintain websites and social media accounts. Most of the websites and social media pages have not been updated or maintained. There is rarely ever fresh content posted.

The overall tone of your reply resonates with the widespread aversion to modern communication tools.

I will be producing hunting videos later this year where traditional ML firearms are used for elk and other big game.

I have seen a number of deer and feral pig hunting videos with ML firearms, but hardly any for big game. That must change.

For over 25 years I visited local schools and local Boy Scout Troops and put on talks and demonstrations...

One local elementary school took the ball and ran with it, we ended up calling it "Colonial Days"...We had other participants as well...A doctor, who played a colonial doctor, we made bees wax candles, cooked over a fire, had wagon rides, Colonial Music, tin punching, etc...All the teachers would dress up, and many of the school kids as well...We did this for about 20 years until we had to stop 2 years ago...

Living in North Carolina, my talk started with the Lost Colony, then went to Jamestown...I have a book of John Whites pictures and showed my favorite, local Indians fishing out of a dugout, and trapping fish...I would ask "How could the Native Americans feed themselves and the Europeans Not"...I pointed out that the plan for settlement back then was for supply ships to bring the colonists supplies, that they had to learn how to be self sufficient...

Anyway, I would tell them quickly about Daniel Boone (who settled in this area), point out that he spent 2 years in Kentucky, living off the land and then rolled into Kings Mountain, Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse and their part in the American Revolution...I then touched on German immigrants bringing the rifle building technology (Old Salem is 40 minutes from here)...Discussed making a fire with flint and steel and showed how a flintlock worked...

So, this would be a fast paced talk, it took about 30-45 minutes and I went through the first 200 years of the history of our Country...And it ended with me giving a demonstration of how to load and shoot a flintlock rifle, using tissue as wadding of course...

Now, since Covid it has been a few years since I have been able to do this but, hopefully, next year... :)

IMG_0050.JPGIMG_1161.jpeg

You have computing and social media confused with watching television. The former is two way communication, the latter is entirely passive. What's more, it is a very small fraction of our fraternity that maintain websites and social media accounts. Most of the websites and social media pages have not been updated or maintained. There is rarely ever fresh content posted.

The overall tone of your reply resonates with the widespread aversion to modern communication tools.
Look at Frontier Trash, Skills of the 18th Century woodsmen, and several more on Facebook. They stay fairly busy and updated throughout the day. Very good helpful learning information and post upcoming events throughout the country. Every bit helps even if communication is done via the web. Seak and you shall find.

For over 25 years I visited local schools and local Boy Scout Troops and put on talks and demonstrations...

One local elementary school took the ball and ran with it, we ended up calling it "Colonial Days"...We had other participants as well...A doctor, who played a colonial doctor, we made bees wax candles, cooked over a fire, had wagon rides, Colonial Music, tin punching, etc...All the teachers would dress up, and many of the school kids as well...We did this for about 20 years until we had to stop 2 years ago...

Living in North Carolina, my talk started with the Lost Colony, then went to Jamestown...I have a book of John Whites pictures and showed my favorite, local Indians fishing out of a dugout, and trapping fish...I would ask "How could the Native Americans feed themselves and the Europeans Not"...I pointed out that the plan for settlement back then was for supply ships to bring the colonists supplies, that they had to learn how to be self sufficient...

Anyway, I would tell them quickly about Daniel Boone (who settled in this area), point out that he spent 2 years in Kentucky, living off the land and then rolled into Kings Mountain, Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse and their part in the American Revolution...I then touched on German immigrants bringing the rifle building technology (Old Salem is 40 minutes from here)...Discussed making a fire with flint and steel and showed how a flintlock worked...

So, this would be a fast paced talk, it took about 30-45 minutes and I went through the first 200 years of the history of our Country...And it ended with me giving a demonstration of how to load and shoot a flintlock rifle, using tissue as wadding of course...

Now, since Covid it has been a few years since I have been able to do this but, hopefully, next year... :)

View attachment 119378View attachment 119379
Anybody working with youth has my attention and support. Current "education" is sorely lacking information about those who came before us.

I guess my part has been my YouTube videos. My first black powder video was a muledeer hunt in 2009. That hunt was with paper patched bullets, but i had been shooting them for almost 3 years. While paper patched bullets were used In the mid 1800's I was the first to use a Lee 500S&W bullet paper patched. A lot of guys saw that and it has expanded.
My shooting videos are to pass along the things that work for me using paper patched bullets for hunting.
I also like to take first time shooters. One man named Mike was in one of my videos. Having never shot a ML rifle before, he hit the target out to 200 yards.
The problem with that is new guys don't have a clue what it takes to get guns and loads to that level.

https://m.youtube.com/user/idahoron/videos

I was president of a charter NMLRA club for a few years and a muzzleloader instructor at women's range day, youth range day, open house range day, etc. I must say I was always proud to see how many members of our club would regularly show up and act as ambassadors from our club to the visitors. We had several people who were really devoted to bringing in new people. I have very little time anymore, so am reduced to occasional range visits to shoot and that's about it.

My experience is that it's fairly easy to expose new people to the sport. That is, they come out and you show them to load, shoot, clean, etc. However, my experience has been that it's very hard to get someone to transition up from an initial exposure to the sport one time, to a regular hobbyist in the sport. I've seen a small but steady number that make the jump from someone trying it out to someone who comes to the range regularly and shoots. It's a lot of work for a small but rewarding return. The sport is dirty, you need a fair amount of gear to be self-sufficient, and you need time and a place to do it.

The "jackpots" when you get larger influxes tend to be fortuitous events: the period when shows like Davy Crockett and the westerns were popular, the US bicentennial, etc. That's when interest seems to spike and you get more than the usual small but steady number of newcomers. Perhaps the year 2026 will bring some renewed interest...

The "jackpots" when you get larger influxes tend to be fortuitous events: the period when shows like Davy Crockett and the westerns were popular, the US bicentennial, etc. That's when interest seems to spike and you get more than the usual small but steady number of newcomers. Perhaps the year 2026 will bring some renewed interest...

Walt Disney perished in 1966, Michael Eisner took over Disney Studios in 1984 with VERY left-liberal values. He left Disney Studios in 2005, but his successors are the same. So I don't see any new production like the Davey Crockett tv series coming from Disney Studios again.

What that means is that our fraternity simply must produce our own film projects. Digital cameras, home computers, and YouTube makes it possible for the working man to do video production.

On the subject of youth shooting sports, here's an absolutely true story from this last summer at Scout camp.

We start off the day with a safety brief and then a hands on history lesson on the guns we brought. The kids get to handle them, ask questions, look at the difference between flint, cap and center/rim fire and then on to the real fun- pulling triggers on live ammo. Just before we start one kid raises his hand "uhmm, my mom and dad are pretty liberal and they wouldn't like for me to be shooting guns so can I just watch?" Sure, no problem. Well he sees his buddies having a ball chucking lead downrange with smoky guns. "Uhmm, could I just help my friends load, but I won't have to shoot?" Sure, no problem. That lasted about 5 minutes. By the end of the day he was a hard core trigger puller and best shot of the day. So our liberal young man is now a hardcore black powder enthusiast. He was asking where to get powder, who makes a good quality musket, where to get lead, and so on. To which a fellow instructor patiently answered his questions but also told the young man that now he has a really big problem. Kid says, how so? Instructor says, "Well since you were shooting all day and even sent your liberal parents a picture of you doing it, they might not allow you into the house...." Everybody got a good laugh over that one, even the kid.

Yeah, kids like that make my entire summer worthwhile.

I don't want to get too far from the OPs intent of sharing ideas, but I think discussing these ideas is relevant.

Yeah, I know that isn't a popular statement to make yet we have found few kids, once exposed,may like it but not enough to continue in the hobby even as an adult. I've discussed this topic with other clubs and groups and we all have had virtually no kid stay with the hobby or return as an adult.

Tex, you make some fantastic points. Retention and cost being a primary subjects. You are right! I was involved with the scouting program for 11 years. Recruiting youth into these programs is difficult, getting adults involved is INSANELY difficult. We've tied everything as you had with music. Few kids are there because they want to be, a majority are there cause mom or dad want them there. If Mom or dad are involved in the program, the kid is usually involved. If not, we end up just babysitting. As the old saying goes, we reap what we sow. If we don't try, we won't get anything. But as you have observed, our long term yield is quite low with returning youth. Our adult volunteers though, are usually folks who were in the program as a youth. But they don't return until THEY have their own kids.

I did talk to our local 4-H ML director about his efforts. Seems his most active youth are the ones where AGAIN, the parents are involved.

I've been thinking about this for a long time. My take is we might need to consider expanding our reach a bit past muzzleloading to keep muzzleloading alive. In Scouts and 4-H, it's a YOUTH activity. Not all parents want to hang out while their kid shoots. But if they could do something else while they wait, we might get more investment from the family. Leather and wood working, Blacksmithing, tinsmithing, Horn making, clothing, historical cookin, group rifle making project for the club.... I have noticed when there is something for EVERYONE, there is more commitment. The hope here is that when the kiddo moves on to college and starts a career, the parents keep up their new hobby. Maybe even pick up a rifle.

Costs will always be an obstacle. I tried to start a muzzleloading program in scouts in my county as part of my woodbadge ticket. At the time I was looking at $5000 in rifles, accoutrements, maintenance equipment and safety equip for 5 shooters. I wrote every Firearm manufacturer, dealer, and organization in the area. I ended up with $250 from the local sheriff. In the end I gave up that endeavor. Jumping straight into the program was cost prohibitive. Again, I talked to my 4-H counterpart as he has several rifles. He received some support from 4-H, but mostly he acquired the rifles and equipment over YEARS of just wandering about. Many of his kids have invested parents who invested in their own rifles as well.

Anyway, as with any hobby, one that supports itself is best! If we are making crafts and selling them at community craft fairs, we might offset costs and get word out about the hobby.

Allright, long winded already, but you have me thinking again.

I don't do this during the winter months here in Kentucky, but, during warmer weather, I am constantly introducing new shooters to the black powder world by setting up small ( non competitive ) shoots.
I'm traveling to other states this summer to introduce more new shooters to the sport.
Here is one example featuring the ladies during the year 2021:

Hey all. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and there’s something that’s been on my mind. Many guys here seem concerned about the lack of new blood in this hobby. I got to looking, there’s three clubs in Indiana according to the NMLRA. All of them use Facebook for information about them but I don’t have or want an account on Facebook, so I can’t view the info. Right now there’s really no way for me, someone already into muzzleloading, to find a club or other local resources. This brings the question up in my mind: if I can’t find anything local, what about those outside of the hobby who have a slight curiosity?

So, the question is, what have you all done to make this hobby more accessible to new people? Have any of you started a club local to you? If so, how? I’d like to keep the hobby alive but it seems many got into it around the Bicentennial, or someone in their family passed it down. There’s a lot of good info floating around but I’m concerned that in the next 10-20 years a lot of people with hands on knowledge will no longer be with us.

Traditional muzzleloading isn’t going to be the next hot thing nor will it ever be I think. But if there’s not more done to help “pass the torch” so to speak, it’ll only get harder to get parts, kits, accessories, and complete guns as the demand continues to drop. So again, let’s hear what you all have done to keep the hobby alive and maybe we all can learn a few lessons that can be applied to bringing new people in!
I taught hunters education for the state of Ohio for 15 yrs. a few years ago I retired from it. Anyhow, I would always make a nice plug for the traditional muzzloading aspect of hunting. I carted a few rifles in, my bags and all acroutments. It was always a big hit with the younger ones. I just hope I left a positive impact on the students.

Back