• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What have you done, or do, to improve/maintain a consistent shooting score?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pellet rifle. In my shop a steel pellet trap and older barrel break rifle (~650 FPS) are 25’ apart. Targets are selected to approximate 25 and 50 yard. I generally average 100 or more rounds a week due to life’s interruptions.

Artificer’s list is spot on especially follow through. I use the slow barrel breaker to
1F8F6E85-4EBB-4C71-95B3-D4764356633D.jpeg
simulate the barrel time of my 42” flintlocks. As we must break position to reload, I’m paying additional attention to my foot positioning/natural point of aim. But poor follow through is most often the cause of fliers. At 73 I sure wish I had the 20/15 vision of 40 years ago.

This is an above average target shot yesterday. Called the4th shot high. 4 shots out side measure in .430” -.177 = .253” ctc. Maybe 47 or 48 on a 6 bull?

Last edited:
Dry firing is a great way to get familiar with the feel of your trigger, but it mushrooms the nipple. I've been known to dry fire on a spent .22 short but they don't last too long. Probably better to use some sort of rubber tubing. I used to use two rubber bands behind hammer of my Henry. Might work for cap and ball revolvers, actually. Never tried it on mine. I don't dry fire practice anymore.

I've also noticed that when shooting my heavier front heavy long barreled rifle, which is weight forward, and then switching to my shorter balanced hawken, which is just as heavy, it levels and mounts so much quicker and smoother and accuracy improves quite a bit than before.

Perhaps dry fire practice with a weight hanging from muzzle? Something to think about actually.

"but it mushrooms the nipple."

Get some 1/4" vacuum hose and cut it to length or get a faucet washer. Both will protect the nipple.

I’ll second using an air rifle and focusing on your diet before the match. Many put a wooden flint in their lock or a washer on their nipple and dry fire their muzzleloader that way too.

An old pistol shooter I know would hold a jug of water with his shooting arm out as if shooting while talking on the phone to increase strength.

Thats a good idea. I know I wore the hammer out on my colt navy prematurely from cocking and sighting. It's definitely going to be hard on your parts. Any time you hear a click, there is metal rubbing.

Artificer, that's why you, me and every other Marine spent a week with our A!! in the grass dry firing at 55 gal. drums with little target shapes painted on them.

OMG, it has been almost a half century since I was on the "Snap In Range" in Boot Camp and even though I was in pretty good shape from football and especially wrestling, I still remember being so sore at the end of the first day, I could barely raise my arms to eat that evening. Grin. By the end of the second day, there wasn't anywhere on my body that didn't ache to the bone, even including the tiny bit of hair I had grown on my head! I had fire watch that night and even when everyone was asleep, there were moans of groans all over the Squad Bay. Thank God by the third day we were so numb, it didn't hurt as much for the rest of the week! LOL. But I'm very glad you brought this up, as it leads to something else that is good for folks doing dry firing.

I stopped by the Pistol Range during lunch hour before I began teaching my Armorers to dry fire the then new M9 pistol. I brought paper and pencil and figured out how to make a relative size bullseye for them to use to snap in. I put two of them on a sheet of paper, one centered in each half, and ran it through the copying machine so everyone would have an appropriate size target to dry fire on after cutting the papers in half and taping them to the walls of the Armory.

Now even though we weren't real busy when I began the dry firing practice in our large Armory in the afternoons, I had to split them up into two groups so one group could snap in while the other Armorers did their normal duties as both the Repair Side and Issue/Recovery side of the Armory still had to take care of Recruits and our Regular Marines. I did have my Armorers in cartridge belts with holsters for the dry firing. Then something interesting happened.

We had a really good Captain who was our Company C.O. and he infrequently visited the work spaces to check on the Marines in his care. He used to joke that was the only way he got to see most of the Marines in the company, as we had so many obligations, we rarely stood Company formations. It just so happened he walked into the caged off entrance way of the Armory while so many Marines were dry firing on the targets taped to the walls. So I ordered my Marines to holster their pistols, and because I had my own cartridge belt and pistol on, I called them to attention and I saluted the Captain. He quickly told everyone to carry on and then asked, "Top, is there something I should know?" I replied I wasn't sure what the Captain meant? He grinned and said, "Well I was trying to figure out what kind of a vermin infestation you could have in concrete block walls that would cause you to have your Marines ready with pistols to do them in?" Everyone busted up laughing.

There is something else from that training that folks shooting BP guns could gain something from. That is to grip, hold and sight a long gun or pistol as uniformly as possible on every shot. Since the grip of the M9 pistol is so large, we had to get a bit inventive for the male and female Marines with small hands for them to be able to grip it, so they could use a smooth trigger pull.

In my case because I've always had an astigmatism in my eyes, I REALLY have to "crawl up" on a long gun stock to get the best sight picture and thus do my best shooting. It isn't as comfortable to shoot that way, but it gives me the best scores. I learned to do that subconsciously while I was growing up hunting with a shotgun, but I also had to learn to do it with a rifle. Doing it enough over the years, it has become "natural" to me, or more likely a well trained physical response. So don't be surprised if placing your cheek on the stock in a different position than one is used to, may improve your sighting and shooting and especially since most of us have aging eyes.

Gus

Yes, practice is important. For as long as I have been at this game I failed in that aspect. I did not work to build upper body strength. As a result I never was more than mediocre at offhand shooting. Won a few, lost many. But, knowing your rifle and having it dialed in to achieve the best groups possible is a big factor. I have shot bench rest matches with light offhand rifles competing against genuine heavy bench guns. I usually do quite well and have won a few matches at bigger events. I credit this to controlling my breathing and doping the wind. It is gratifying to shoot a 100 yard small group that beats the heavy bench guys.

Dry firing is a great way to get familiar with the feel of your trigger, but it mushrooms the nipple. I've been known to dry fire on a spent .22 short but they don't last too long. Probably better to use some sort of rubber tubing. I used to use two rubber bands behind hammer of my Henry. Might work for cap and ball revolvers, actually. Never tried it on mine. I don't dry fire practice anymore.
Not a problem: Get a neoprene or rubber faucet washer from the hardware. They usually fit right on the nipple as they have a hole in the center. You might have to make the hole larger if for a musket nipple.

I've also noticed that when shooting my heavier front heavy long barreled rifle, which is weight forward, and then switching to my shorter balanced hawken, which is just as heavy, it levels and mounts so much quicker and smoother and accuracy improves quite a bit than before.

Perhaps dry fire practice with a weight hanging from muzzle? Something to think about actually.
I have similar rifles in style, but not of the same weight. I have often thought of using the heaver for muscle memory and tone when I am going to compete with the lighter. Not sure what the physical trainers say, but I feel that what you shoot is the one to dry fire. JMO without any facts

ML'ers are usually shot from either standing or the bench. Why? No slings on most of them. So let's take the basics of position building.

The steps are;

Study the position
visualize the position
practice the position
practice the position with a gun
shoot the position.

Finding your natural point of aim is fundamental to be able to shoot the position effectively. Like almost ALL sports, it all starts out with a solid balanced base. Footwork footwork, footwork. Many of the prior posts went in to some of the fundamentals, but with our youth 10M air rifle precision league we start them out in the "Sporter" class. After they figure out what a sight picture is (bench shooting) and the BRASS fundamentals, we move them right in to standing. It's actually the most "natural" position. (Prone and kneeling are actually sort of unnatural positions, and slings add another complicating element.) No jackets, and there is a limitation on the cost (it used to be $300) of the guns they can use. We don't give them round bulls to shoot at, but start with just a vertical line (8 MOA width). when they can keep them all in the black somewhere, we give them a horizontal line. Once they can keep THOSE all in the black we move them to shooting round bulls. They stay in the sportier class until they are 13, or in 8th grade. Some of them actually get quite good, being able to shoot mid 550's in standing. By the time they move to the precision class (jackets, pants, shoes, more expensive and heavier guns), most of them can shoot 550's, and the occasional one even touches the high 580's by their 2nd-3rd year. Many have gone on to getting D-1 scholarships. The general idea is to get them in to the sport relatively inexpensively (we have club guns for them to use if they don't want to buy their own), and get them hooked before they (their parents) have to cough up thousands to get competitive in the precision class.

If you apply those same fundamentals to your ML'er shooting, I guarantee your standing scores will improve. Yes, we do a ton of dry firing, and use laser shooting systems too for feedback. That is particularly good for tracking a student's wobble zone.

While the above is not specific to ML'er shooting, the fundamentals and the methods are common to all types of shooting.

Last edited:
For improving your accuracy you can't beat Dutch Shultz's method. Consistancy is what you need and Dutch's method is all about being consistant. Over the years he has helped many many shooters we certainly miss him. I believe his system is still available.

Maybe a large fishing sinker hanging from a short string? I've been thinking about this. large sky scrappers have large weights at the top to counter the building's movements from the high winds.

Latest posts

Back