• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Have I Gotten Myself Into...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskinn

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It all started with my wife asking me what I wanted for Christmas... I thought about it for a while and while scrolling through Cabela's website came across the Traditions Kit. That looked cool and I've always wanted to build a kit gun. A little more research and I decided, since I have a cap gun, wanted a flinter. Dug into it more and decided I wanted a bit higher quality... And now I have a Chambers - Edward Marshall en route!

Since then I have been lurking... Lurking sounds evil, researching on this sites nearly unlimited wealth of knowledge and decided to member up. I have to say, I'm giddy as a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Also, as recommended my many, I should have my copy of Gunsmith of Greenville County in a day or so to keep me busy until then... As well as the 665 pages left to go through on the Gun Builder's Bench forum!

You have gotten yourself into a heap full of fun and enjoyment along with a little frustration and possible cussing!

But I don't think you will ever regret your decision!

Welcome to the Rock Side!!!

Jim Kibler made a series of videos an posted them on youtube. Just search his name to find them. They will break it down and make it very logical. I believe if you have a lap top you could work along with them in the shop. Good luck.

Thanks. I watched the first of Kibler's videos and it was very informative. I forgot to mention that I ordered Chambers video as well. So should have lots of good references. Now I need to start compiling some better tools for the work ahead...

Welcome to the Forum.
As well as the 665 pages left to go through on the Gun Builder's Bench forum!
The back pages/archives of this section of the forum is priceless!!
The amount of experience and knowledge shared here by pro's and rookies alike would take several volumes of bound book to share.
DO scroll through the back pages and read anything that might be interesting to you.
Some of the pro's are gone,, but the shared knowledge is still there.
There can be a lot of junk too of course,, but when you see the same question asked year after year with the same kind of response made year after year,, you can kind of count it being right.

Please get yourself some good reference materials and study up. Calling these "kits" is VERY misleading to say the least as they are not kits, rather a box of very ruff parts that will need hours of fitting, wood removal and shaping. You did well passing up the cheapo traditions kit and settling on a Chambers! Take your time, study references and ask questions! Welcome aboard and this won't be your last.

I did quite a bit of research and realize I'm in for a big project, which is exactly what I was looking for. I read somewhere to treat each step as a project in itself and not the rifle as a whole. At least until it is done!

Yes....treat each operation by itself ....considering the entire LR is over powering. Chambers' parts sets are probably the best on the market and completing one not only yields a nice LR, but you'll learn a lot on the way.

The correct stock architecture is already there although some of the inlets require some work and skill. The brass as rec'd requires very little work and I use a scraper on the TG facets.

Keep us informed of your progress and good luck......Fred

Absolutely agree, but also try to visualize the completed rifle and how everything fits together from stock architecture to metal fitment just to name a very small portion. I often sometimes will not even touch my builds in a session, rather I like to sit and essentially eye my work over for any potential mistakes or things that may be of a concern to me. That way I can visualize things before they happen down the road. This has been the case with my ash blank I've been working on and off for the past year. Ash being a wood that will test your tools and patience, sitting back and visualizing the end result makes for a well detailed and thought out build. You did well with selecting a Chambers kit, even if it's your first build I'm thankful you realized the importance of a quality build versus a cheapo traditions kit. The hard work will certainly be worth your efforts and the value of the completed rifle will be 10X that of a cookie cutter factory kit. Keep us posted! ;):)

Hey Buckskinn!
Seein as we are pert near neighbors, when you do get something to build, please post your progress here as I am about to take the "big leap" myself, at least by next summer.

I have built dang near every Traditon's kit they offer, and am ready to move up a bit after my next, and last one.

I have no experience with the better kits, but think they truly are a better choice.
Looking forward to seeing what you get and do.

And as you do things, the members here will be more than willing to point you in the right direction.
Heck, they helped me with my Traditions Crockett, and helped make it mine with only a couple of small modifications.

I will definitely post pictures and will have plenty of questions as I move along. Probably when I open the box... I've seen quite a few good looking Traditions on this site and would have pulled the trigger on one if Cabelas would have had a flinter kit. But that got me researching more and my wife's budget slid north (ok, I may have been off a few hundred on what I told her). I will make it up to her!

I will definitely post pictures and will have plenty of questions as I move along. Probably when I open the box... I've seen quite a few good looking Traditions on this site and would have pulled the trigger on one if Cabelas would have had a flinter kit. But that got me researching more and my wife's budget slid north (ok, I may have been off a few hundred on what I told her). I will make it up to her!

I wouldn't touch a tradition's flinter with a ten foot pole. The lock alone on your Chambers kit is worth more than one of their kits alone... You absolutely get what you pay for in the world of flintlocks, percussion locks are a bit less temperamental in this regard and besides a few minor tweaks a traditions capper lock isn't all that bad.

That is exactly what I found out in looking around. I told a couple buddies of my plans and they all looked at me with a crooked grin.... Basically saying, "good luck getting it to fire consistently". But from what I've found, they can be as reliable and just as fast as a capper, IF it is made correctly.

That is exactly what I found out in looking around. I told a couple buddies of my plans and they all looked at me with a crooked grin.... Basically saying, "good luck getting it to fire consistently". But from what I've found, they can be as reliable and just as fast as a capper, IF it is made correctly.

No if, they ARE reliable. This is another false notion brought about by those who are un-educated with the ignition system and the cheap locks produced for these mass production guns. I have hunted in every weather condition the eastern woodlands has to offer with my flinters, never once have they given me any ill effects in terms of reliability. You should notice no lag time when firing, nor is there any noticeable difference the ear can detect.

Oh you are done for now.. ^^ LOL Welcome to the World of Flint

Reliable ? Hmmm. With the rifle you described, I judge you will do well.
Mine will fire rain or shine. And you wont even have to say anything to your buds, they will just "know" :)

Well I did it again... Called Chamber shop and inquired about when the rifle would be shipped because my wife was worried it wouldn't get here in time for Christmas. And I wanted to make sure someone was going to be home when it was delivered. I have a black lab that likes to tear apart packages... Barbie said they were waiting on a stock as the one they thought they had for it turned out to be a $200 upgrade. Well in order to get it by Christmas, what was I to do??? I better not mess this thing up...

Latest posts

Back