• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what have I got

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flembo

32 Cal
Reaction score
I thought I had an original Brown Bess, but after comparing this gun to replicas and pictures I am seeing many differences, such as the shape of the side plate and carving around the barrel tang, the trigger guard and the Lock has no Tower or Crown, obviously it has been converted to percussion. The barrel measures 47 inches and overall length is 61 inches, the bore is .690. and it has signs it had a nose cap. What is interesting about this gun is the name inscribed on the side plate. Knowing my father found this gun in a barn in Massachusetts I searched the Name Bezaleel Taft in Massachusetts revolutionary war files and learned he was from Uxbridge Mass.and was a captain in the militia and it told of several marches and skirmishes he was involved in. Also with the gun was a Sword possibly belonging to the same man. Sadly both the gun and sword are in very poor condition

Attachments

• IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4006.JPG
    IMG_4006.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_4005.JPG
    IMG_4005.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 201
What you have got is a very exciting and valuable New England fowling piece put to militia use. I’d love to make a copy!
Please don’t even clean it. Any reduction of patina would remove some of its history and value. Sending you a PM. I’d very much like to get some dimensions and tracings. It’s a very exciting gun.

Exactly as Rich says. I have a saber very close in appearance to the one you have. Mine was given to a captain of militia during the Civil War who lived in my hometown in Maine. My research dates it from approximately the War of 1812. It would be interesting to see more photos of it including the blade, scabbard fittings and any markings.

Great pieces of history you have there not many such things of this type are to be found out side of museums, Do continue your research and keep us posted.

Flembo,
Rich is correct. It is a very exciting new find and almost certainly colonial production. It seems to have a combination of English and French influences and I suspect made in eastern MA, possibly around Worcester. Eric von Aschwege, who lives in Hudson, MA would an excellent expert for you to contact about the gun and if you desire any restoration or stabilization. Until recently, Eric was the apprentice at Colonial Williamsburg. (http://www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com/

dave

Can you tell if it is stocked in cherry or is it walnut? From the picture of the buttplate extension it appears to be stocked in cherry, common for NE smoothbores. The lock is very interesting and has a sort of rough hewn appearance with appealing but unsophisticated engraving. Altogether what we want to see in a colonial piece.

This gun could have fired the first shot at Concord or Lexington

She was a flinter at birth, very interesting! This is a significant weapon, that could really use some help, in order to help preserve it. That crappy wrist repair for one. I would love to see it repaired properly

Bezaleel Taft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezaleel_Taft_Sr.

Last edited:
Flembo,
Rich is correct. It is a very exciting new find and almost certainly colonial production. It seems to have a combination of English and French influences and I suspect made in eastern MA, possibly around Worcester. Eric von Aschwege, who lives in Hudson, MA would an excellent expert for you to contact about the gun and if you desire any restoration or stabilization. Until recently, Eric was the apprentice at Colonial Williamsburg. (von Aschwege Flintlocks

dave

He knows his stuff, just ordered plans from him. Eric could make a set of plans off this gun, as he has done for so many others.

Yes its maybe down on condition, But it is I agree an important piece with exellent provenance a real 'document ' sleeper.
. Regards Rudyard

What you have got is a very exciting and valuable New England fowling piece put to militia use. I’d love to make a copy!
Please don’t even clean it. Any reduction of patina would remove some of its history and value. Sending you a PM. I’d very much like to get some dimensions and tracings. It’s a very exciting gun.
How do I get your PM.

Rich thanks for the PM this gun hung over the fire place from the time I was tadpole, after my dad died in 1987 I brought it to my home where it has hung on the wall since I can take what ever pictures and rubbings you would like. and BTW no offence taken.

WOW!! What a great find. Once in a great while you hit a home run. Reminds me of a (now retired) co-worker asking if he could bring me an old gun to look at to see if I could I.D. it. Of course I was thinking he would bring me an old outside hammer shotgun or a cut down civil war musket and the like. Imagine my surprise when he walked into my office with an original Northwest Trade Fusil.
Congratulations. The gun and saber are incredible keepsakes.

Rick

Back