• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What happens When You Accidentally Shoot a Ramrod out of your gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
🙄 I don't watch these videos. They arent funny or educational. I'd just like to tell folks that think these videos are cool that I have had to replace two barrels for folks that shot their rods. Both due to rather large bulges. So don't assume that because this guy does a bunch of hairbrained stuff and has gotten away with it to this point doesn't mean you will.
Now, let the arrows fly!
His tests in this video is a lot safer that your guys. He did not load a ball. I also disagree. They are educational if folks use an open mind. Focus and shoot correctly as if your life depended on it.

Here is one I witnessed. No harm no fowl, with ball. I have also seen a short started ball shot and it bulged the barrel. There is a huge difference as well between a metal range rod and a hardware store dowel rod if they get shot out.

https://trbps.com/trbps-event-william-tell-and-5-card-draw/

🙄 I don't watch these videos. They arent funny or educational. I'd just like to tell folks that think these videos are cool that I have had to replace two barrels for folks that shot their rods. Both due to rather large bulges. So don't assume that because this guy does a bunch of hairbrained stuff and has gotten away with it to this point doesn't mean you will.
Now, let the arrows fly!
On the other hand, when some dumb ass newbie comes up with what he thinks is a great idea, it gives him a place to see what happens when you do said dumb stunt.

Now, let the arrows fly!
Agree with you. I find this guy annoying. Got about two minutes in to one of his videos once and turned it off. Never watched another since. Just promotes stupidity is some people. Someone will watch, then emulate his actions, and hurt somebody or themselves. Not my kind of entertainment.

Last edited:
Agree with you. I find this guy annoying. Got about two minutes in to one of his videos once and turned it off. Never watched another since. Just promotes stupidity is some people. Someone will watch, then emulate his actions, and hurt somebody or themselves. Not my kind of entertainment.
I like his vids. A video with Mark is a short time shooting with a friend. But I like mushrooms and oysters and my wife tolerates mushrooms and hates oysters. To each his own.
So I can understand you all not liking these.
However since you don’t like him why are you taking time to post on his vids
Don’t like don’t watch
You can even put him on ignore so you won’t see when he post
Me, well I’m going to keep watching and enjoying bit of fun with a good guy.
And I know at some point I’ll smile and sometimes chuckle

Last edited:
Now, let the arrows fly
I think you’re a little jealous

Last edited:
I loved it! Only a Maniac would do something like this but he answered my question and now I don't have to try it myself. He's having a ball doing his videos and I like watching them. If he blows the rest of his hair off with some stunt he has enough sense of humor to post the video!😇
Thanks Mark!

I have seen this once with a Parker Hale .451 Volunteer rifle where the iron rod was shot out over a 500 gr patched bullet , the shooter complained of excessive recoil and thought he had double loaded a bullet , every thing checked out just fine with no barrel damage , so he went to fire another shot and realized his rod was missing and he had shot off his rod . After the shoot we looked for it and even came back with a metal detector and never found the rod . We surmise the rod had gone under the grass which covered the sand gulley where we had our range .
Those dowel rods splintered easily , I wonder how a good treated hickory rod would go ?

i have shot one rod. one of those delrin units. no ringed barrel but the recoil rung my bell! turned the rod into an "S" and it hit the target sideway's. saved enough to make a rod for a pistol.
15+ years ago I shot a heavy aluminum ramrod and a 385gr conical out or my gun. Recoil about knocked me silly 🤪

Now, let the arrows fly!
Don't know about other shooters and shooting ramrods from a muzzleloader. Had a friend do this. Missed a shot on a 6-point buck. He was reloading when the buck came back (evidently) to investigate the noise. Said friend was loaded but hadn't removed his ramrod. According to him, fearing that the buck would spook, shot, the ramrod went through the buck's heart. No damage to the rifle, but then it was a Hawken. Perhaps that made the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back