• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What happens to a lead ball when fired directly into steel??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.457 RB outta ROA
image.jpg

Do you consider liability concerning your videos? You're going to shoot your eye out kid.
I don't worry about it.
Been shooting those steel targets for 9 years now at that distance.
I seldom get much closer than 28-30 yards shooting steel targets anytime.

I was just reading a discussion on here about changing the amount of powder you use for different prey. You need a high speed camera next to the target to really examine what the bullet does upon impact. Nice video.
I'd love to have a high speed camera for these tests.
Its tough slowing down the action with the editing program I'm using.

Good video. You are not going to have any issues shooting pure lead at that distance, but if you ever get concerned about it just angle the steel target to where the top is closer to you than the bottom, that way all hits will deflect down to the ground. I shot steel for years using unmentionable handguns at 10 yards. Never got bit the first time, but it is always a good idea to wear safety glasses regardless. Never go closer than 10 yards though. You look like you really enjoy making these videos.

Good video. You are not going to have any issues shooting pure lead at that distance, but if you ever get concerned about it just angle the steel target to where the top is closer to you than the bottom, that way all hits will deflect down to the ground. I shot steel for years using unmentionable handguns at 10 yards. Never got bit the first time, but it is always a good idea to wear safety glasses regardless. Never go closer than 10 yards though. You look like you really enjoy making these videos.
I really do enjoy making the videos. Believe it or not...
I enjoy editing them as much as I enjoy shooting them.
You advice is already heeded VERY well.
I won't shoot the steel any closer that 28-30 yards unless it is at a huge rate of deflection.
Straight on....nope, 25-30 yards is the closest I come to them.
I don't want to get bit by the lead splatter.

Ever wonder what happens to the lead round ball when it hits directly into a steel target?
This one will show what happens....

Entertaining as always.

I have something to consider- is the surface of your target pitted from repeated impacts? If so, those craters will influence how the lead splatters. One thing I've found is target mounting will influence it. If the target can "give" because it's hanging on chains, the effect will be very different from one firmly mounted. Yeah, I tinker a bit at the range too.

Another fun video, Mark! My gal and I liked it!

I was recently doing some thinking on setting up some steel targets. I have seen some ricochets with negative "impacts" on people and property. Luckily no bad injuries.

Like Trapper Scott had mentioned above, my thought was to hang the targets mounted on chains with some negative rake angle provided by offsetting the chain to the target with extra nuts on the mounting bolts. This way the round/bullet will be deflected in a hopefully downward angle so there are less chances to send a direct ricochet or lead fragments back to the shooter.

Here are some simple drawings I had doodled up.

Attachments

• target idea (1).jpg
    target idea (1).jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 0
  • target idea (2).jpg
    target idea (2).jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 0
Back