• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What happened to Lyman Muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What $800 would buy in 2012, would cost you $1,018 today when adjusted for inflation.

I've been in this game for 10 years now. The above is accurate. When I got in, you could buy a brand new Armisport M1842 for $800+. Today, if you can find one, they are $1200.

I think the Italians got hammered with Covid. None of their companies seem to have come back online with proper inventory yet. EMF Company is the storefront for Pietta in the USA. Nearly everything is out of stock and has been for some time.

I also think there are other forces at work. "Supply Chain Issues" has been the default excuse for a year now. Baby formula, dog food, meat, tampons, ammunition - empty store shelves everywhere. Something is going on.

Lyman quality has been in the gutter for some years now so I,m not surprised that they would throw in the towel.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen! :) I had guessed as much, but wanted to check with others to make sure.
I've pretty much decided to buy a Pedersoli rifle. Possibly the Blue Ridge Rifle, unless I find a Kentucky Rifle at a reasonable price.

I was at a Cabelas today and seen a Pennsylvania Rifle, but it was in horrible condition, for a new rifle. Apparently, that rifle has been in the store for a few years and had been dropped SEVERAL times. The stock had so many marks, gouges and scratches in the finish that there's NO WAY it would leave the store without a serious discount. At $929, they'd have to knock off $150 or more or I wouldn't buy it. :rolleyes: The stock would have to be sanded down, refinished and restained before I'd even shoot it.
The employees said that since Bass Pro bought them, they have to put the guns away, every night. They just dump them in a shopping cart and push them in the back, until the next day. 😒
I bought an over and under from BP a few years ago before Parkinsons showed up in my life and had to pick the best of the worst. Most were scratched pretty badly on the wood and metal parts. They sold them as used guns because they got them from a Cabelas store. I had already planned on customizing one anyway, but it was upsetting to see nice guns treated like that.

I would imagine Lyman going away had a lot to do with the breech plug recall and the fear of any lawsuits that would follow.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/
747416-bbdad6c1c65c595314291bdbe7ffe25d.jpg

Something to think about, T/C is gone due to a lawsuit. Someone who knew nothing about muzzleloaders bought a used Renegade and loaded it very hot with a substitute powder. He got by a couple of times then it blew up removing has hand. Not enough barrel left to identify the T/C logo or warnings, He gathered a team of attorneys and went after T/C for his mistake. The T/C attorneys tried to claim the barrel wasn't theirs, but an after-market replacement. IMO a mistake as they should have been able to prove he did not heed the warning "Black Powder Only". Either way the jury felt sorry for the guy missing his hand and T/C lost.

Last edited:
I would imagine Lyman going away had a lot to do with the breech plug recall and the fear of any lawsuits that would follow.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/
View attachment 156946

Something to think about, T/C is gone due to a lawsuit. Someone who knew nothing about muzzleloaders bought a used Renegade and loaded it very hot with a substitute powder. He got by a couple of times then it blew up removing has hand. Not enough barrel left to identify the T/C logo or warnings, He gathered a team of attorneys and went after T/C for his mistake. The T/C attorneys tried to claim the barrel wasn't theirs, but an after-market replacement. IMO a mistake as they should have been able to prove he did not heed the warning "Black Powder Only". Either way the jury felt sorry for the guy missing his hand and T/C

Just to be clear, Lyman is not closing their doors, they're just discontinuing their muzzleloading products.

I can't find Lyman muzzleloaders on the Lyman website. Very few Lyman MLs can be found at any website, period. :rolleyes:
However, I have noticed that on the Davide Pedersoli website, they offer Lyman MLs as a "signature series", but at an increased price. There are a couple of other websites that sell Lyman MLs, but at the bottom of the page/ad it says, "by Pedersoli".

My question is: Did Lyman Products sell out their muzzleloader rifles to Pedersoli? 🤔
Yes, Lyman had them made by Investarms, then they were by Pedersoli; I forget what the end situation will be regarding Lyman and the GPRs. Looking forward to seeing comments here. I have a LH GPR Perc. .54 by Investarms but completely refinished it. Good luck. Muzzle Blasts magazine did a review of the Pedersolis, (or was it Muzzleloader?) anyway let's see what guys post here.

I would rather make muzzle loaders than what I normally do in my shop! Is there any special licensing required? Kind of thinking there isn't as they are not considered a firearm.

I would rather make muzzle loaders than what I normally do in my shop! Is there any special licensing required? Kind of thinking there isn't as they are not considered a firearm.
I would think that it would depend on where you live. Eg: NY just declared muzzleloaders to be firearms

Look at the Investarms Gemmer Hawken. I read somewhere that they are identical and Lyman had just rebranded the Gemmer, or rather had Incestarms stamp the barrels with Lyman’s name. I have a Lyman GPR and the Gemmer I looked at online appeared to be identical, save for the markings on the barrel.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen! :) I had guessed as much, but wanted to check with others to make sure.
I've pretty much decided to buy a Pedersoli rifle. Possibly the Blue Ridge Rifle, unless I find a Kentucky Rifle at a reasonable price.

I was at a Cabelas today and seen a Pennsylvania Rifle, but it was in horrible condition, for a new rifle. Apparently, that rifle has been in the store for a few years and had been dropped SEVERAL times. The stock had so many marks, gouges and scratches in the finish that there's NO WAY it would leave the store without a serious discount. At $929, they'd have to knock off $150 or more or I wouldn't buy it. :rolleyes: The stock would have to be sanded down, refinished and restained before I'd even shoot it.
The employees said that since Bass Pro bought them, they have to put the guns away, every night. They just dump them in a shopping cart and push them in the back, until the next day. 😒
A lot of stores do that now. Not just them. Even local gun stores pull their guns in and out of their safes every day. It depends on the employees as to whether they do it with care or not. Too many gangs are breaking into the stores to steal guns.

One thought is that I’d to ask if they still have a new one in the back room or not. I was looking at one and asked about it as the floor model was beat up. Yes they did have a new on in the box. So I got the nice new one.
Of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back