• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What happened to Lyman Muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you/us are willing to pay three times as much, do with less, not have the "wants" ,be happy with a smaller home, one vehicle etc., etc. then we may see some change. Until then, we are our own worse enemies! China already owns a considerable portion of the US debt as do other countries!I MHO
When I worked hard all my life for what I built and own, I won't settle for less.

When I worked hard all my life for what I built and own, I won't settle for less.
so , you just answered the reason why things are so bad. Tens of millions saying the same thing. it is what it is. I never met a person who didn't think they worked hard and wanted everything they wanted. Not many seemed willing to go with less or looked at the long term . IMHO

Last edited:
so , you just answered the reason why things are so bad. Tens of millions saying the same thing. it is what it is. I never met a person who didn't think they worked hard and wanted everything they wanted. Not many seemed willing to go with less or looked at the long term . IMHO
If you never met a person who didn't think they worked hard .....check out the welfare roles!

Last edited:
If you nebver met a person who didn't think they worked hard .....check out the welfare roles!
what make you think that at one time they did not work hard or think that they worked hard? Some people do not have the same opportunities others have. So you can work very hard at McD's and still never achieve a decent life style.

what make you think that at one time they did not work hard or think that they worked hard? Some people do not have the same opportunities others have. So you can work very hard at McD's and still never achieve a decent life style.
You make your own opportunities....if you aspire to be a McD manager they don't make bad money, if you aspire to own a McD franchise...you'll do very well, however if your only aspiration in life is to be a McD cashier.....well you make the choice.....you take what you get. Your station in life is on "YOU".
Hard work doesn't just mean physical work. There are so many white collar jobs(careers) that are extremely stressful. Most folks don't work a job, pick a career, own a business just to survive, they want to encourage a work ethis for their children, and also provide a better life for their families.

Last edited:
Apparently you don't get out much. Starting wages are advertised at upwards of $20/hr....
Could you live on that? I couldn't. Lets see , basic math puts that at approx. $41,000 a year before taxes! Even at a low 12% tax rate it equates to about 36K take home or 3k a month. Rent or Mortgage, car, home insurance ,car insurance, Food, gas , maintenance on car , manitenace on home, Property taxes, Medical, Electic, Gas , water sewer.?? etc etc . No, not a real viable living IMHO

You make your own opportunities....if you aspire to be a McD manager they don't make bad money, if you aspire to own a McD franchise...you'll do very well, however if your only aspiration in life is to be a McD cashier.....well you make the choice.....you take what you get. Your station in life is on "YOU".
Hard work doesn't just mean physical work. There are so many white collar jobs(careers) that are extremely stressful. Most folks don't work a job, pick a career, own a business just to survive, they want to encourage a work ethis for their children, and also provide a better life for their families.
very true

Only 10K? Many people would love to pay 10K. Most people are paying 20-25K or more yearly for that. IMHO. Mortgages are easily 1000-1500 a month, and taxes can run anywhere from 3K-20k easily depending on State and area. Then there is Insurance!!
I wasn't including the mortgage principal, just the interest, taxes and insurance. The place we are leaning toward for retirement is substantially cheaper even factoring flood insurance. About one fourth of our current pay out for interest, taxes and insurance. (total about $2,800) Plus we can operate a home business with far less government interference.
If you look up what temperature coffee brews at, it is 197.6 – 204.8 F. What temperature was the McDonald's coffee brewed at? I get coffee midstream from my coffee pot and drink it immediately. Yes, it can be hot, but I haven't been injured. The elderly woman admitted that the spill was her fault according to the article that you linked. Why in the world would you try to hold a coffee cup BETWEEN YOUR KNEES to open it? As soon as he popped the cap, the cup would collapse causing the spill. Put it on the console, on the dash or on the floor. We can debate until the cows come home, but I have a bit of an issue with the whole thing.

From a products liability course I took, McDonalds was superheating the water to about 250 to get a faster brew and internal memos discussed the danger of serving the coffee too hot. And I seriously doubt you are drinking coffee at 190 degrees. You would have cooked your esophagus. Water heater have settings at and below 125 to avoid scalding injuries even though the water must still travel and cool slightly through pipe to get to the faucet at the fixture. Scalds are a factor of time and temperature. Hotter fluids cause scalding in fewer seconds. A temperature as low as 44 degrees centigrade (111 F) causes scald damage to skin over enough time. 133 F water for 15 seconds causes damage and blisters. 155 degrees F in one second. Scalding Injuries | Burn Injury Guide

So just to experiment, I put 4 cups of room temperature water in the Mister Coffee. and placed a styrofoam cup in the coffee basket and used a meat thermometer to measure the temperature of the water in the styrefoam cup as the hot water comes out the spout. it was between 175 and 180. I then removed the styrefoam cup and started over with fresh room temperature water. 4 cups of hot water through the basket (but without any coffee grounds to cool it slightly) measured between 160 and 165 in the pot. I then got my wife's ceramic coffee mug at room temperature, and filled it to over flowing. The temperature measured just under 140. with no spoon, stirring, sugar or creamer to cool it further. So there you have it. Unless you put your mouth directly under the spout and drank the dripping water directly, there is no way you are drinking coffee even close to 190. If you are putting it in a cup from the pot, it is more like 140 tops. at 133 degrees it takes 15 seconds to scald. Putting it in your cooler body at 97 degrees, will cool it substantially and most likely prevent damage.

On the other flip side. I recently heard from an ER nurse who worked in Alaska for a time, that alcoholics who came up from the lower 48 to work, sometimes kept bottles of whiskey in their cars. After a shift with no alcohol they were starting to get the shakes and once in a while chugged a pint as soon as they got to their car or truck with out realizing that subzero degree booze has a way of momentarily freezing vital throat parts. . Said they had 3 or 4 such cases. during her years up north.

Last edited:
Apparently you don't get out much. Starting wages are advertised at upwards of $20/hr....
That's the product of runaway inflation, not rising wealth. You might get $20 an hour at a fast food joint, but now a McDonalds meal costs $10+. Adjusted for inflation and they're doing worse than a kid making $5 an hour a few decades ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back