• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What happened to Lyman Muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a recent telephone call to Lyman I was told they had pretty much sold out the last of their inventory of MLs completely toward the end of 2021.
I bought a finished Lyman Plains Pistol .50 cal. end of April 2013 and lightly sanded the stock, reshaped the for-end slightly and refinished it a beautiful dark walnut color, though wish I had added a little red stain. I had wanted to buy a matching one in .54 cal., but no luck.
Oh well I’m thankful I got this one.

Attachments

• 2F334DCF-49BF-4ABA-B817-EA9E0BF1AD49.jpeg
    2F334DCF-49BF-4ABA-B817-EA9E0BF1AD49.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3BBE0885-8869-4B51-B65C-06F2EEAE0609.jpeg
    3BBE0885-8869-4B51-B65C-06F2EEAE0609.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
One of the things that I’ve learned…from the guys that are knowledgeable about Lyman products…buy a gun that was made in the 70’s through the mid to late 80’s. Quality was very good back then.
Gosh, I bought a Lyman Plains Pistol in 2013 and personally I think it not only looks but functions great. The wood to metal fit is very good, the bluing deep and uniform and the case color very attractive. Maybe I got lucky I guess.

Wisdom now days is: buy what you want when you can. Do not sell unless you need to.
Most of us have sold far too much stuff that now we wish we had kept, especially muzzle-loading
items. Teach young people and remember that the excitement really sets in when things
go Boom, and people feel the power and challenge of this sporting tradition. These guns are
legacy items. Italian and Spanish gunmakers go back hundreds of years and are totally
acceptable makers. We owe them a debt of gratitude for bringing these old guns back onto the
popular market with the help of noted American importers.

Does anyone know if Lyman will also discontinue making round ball molds? Is that part of getting away from muzzleloaders? I haven’t seen a new Lyman RB mold for sale in a lonnnngggg time.

Does anyone know if Lyman will also discontinue making round ball molds? Is that part of getting away from muzzleloaders? I haven’t seen a new Lyman RB mold for sale in a lonnnngggg time.
I have found them at Mid South,Optics planet, Midway even Lymans own site etc, but certainly are not cheap. Minimum $85 dollars and higher in my experience, but i guess everything is more these days!

but i guess everything is more these days....
like gas, eggs, milk, bread. Prices jacked up just because. Got to keep the government coffers filled up so they can piss it away on their pork (worthless) projects.
Just sign the bill. We'll see what's in it later. :rolleyes: :mad: Anybody had ENOUGH yet?? :oops:

I was on the phone today with Lyman regarding a product recall, and the guy said they were in the process of phazing out all muzzle loader products!
Be very careful with the words phasing out on here. Or your inability to locate products. Because the hyenas will attack. Learn this from experience.

I got a 50 caliber, Lyman hunter rifle barrel to swap back-and-forth with my 54 caliber GPR. The 50 caliber hunter was on backorder for over a year.

I have found them at Mid South,Optics planet, Midway even Lymans own site etc, but certainly are not cheap. Minimum $85 dollars and higher in my experience, but i guess everything is more these days!
I’m glad to know you have found molds. When/where I have looked they have been out of stock. I need a Lyman .530 mold - TOTW, Dixie, and Lyman are all about of stock. I checked just now.
I’m just glad to know they are still producing.

Last edited:
Be very careful with the words phasing out on here. Or your inability to locate products. Because the hyenas will attack. Learn this from experience.

I got a 50 caliber, Lyman hunter rifle barrel to swap back-and-forth with my 54 caliber GPR. The 50 caliber hunter was on backorder for over a year.
Yes sir, that was not fair for them to jump on you for asking for information. Stick with us friend.

just wait! it is comming! remember that CHINA was making muzzleloaders many moons ago!!
Take a look at any product coming out of China today. They won't last near as long as they used to. Washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezer, LED shop lights, electronic components......all junk!! When we had these products and parts made in the USA, longevity was decades. I had tv's, washers, dryers, etc. handed down to me over 20 years old and running strong!! Washer made it 6 years, refrigerator made it 6 years, bought a $1200 Samsung TV(lasted just shy of 2 years!! Auto parts - made in China!! No good right out of the box, parts that are made specific to a vehicle don't fit or last less than a year!! If China decides to quit shipping....you already see the effect....supplies nowhere to be found. AMERICA JUST GOT BIT IN THE A$$!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back