• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What gun to use.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For deer and antelope hunting I always go for my Hot Rod Hawken.

LDJxvBF.jpg

If I am hunting elk I am required to use a minimum of 50 cal by state law.
If I have a tag and my son doesn't I use the gun I put together for him. The Hot Rod Renegade.

JlO6298.jpg

If my son is also hunting I use my 50 cal Far speaker.

wX2ZKaK.jpg

Once I decide on the hunt I stick with the same gun for that season. All my practice and hunting will be with one gun for that year.

My "rifled fowler" is, by all appearances, a TVM Fowler, left hand, but with a .62 rifled barrel and a small rear sight. It looks like, handles like, and works like a Fowler, but the rifled barrel gives me small groups at 65 yards, which it is sighted in at. Very effective on Northern Whitetails.

ADK Bigfoot

I always start off with one that I have shot the most before season starts. This year it was my old T/C 50 cal Hawken. Shot a nice doe on opening day and am now continuing to hunt with my 45 cal flintlock. I like to rotate through the collection.

I pick a favorite and if it is fired - deer or no deer - I go to another one. But sometimes I've used the same rifle mostly all through the season.

My hands-down favourite is my .45 Hawken; my first two deer were taken with her. I usually carry her for both the muzzleloader and Unmentionable seasons. This year I had to do some shooting with one of my Besses for an educational program, and she did so well that I decided to go with her for the season. No luck so far, but I’ve got a few weeks left, and an extra couple of days off... 🤞🏼
Jay

I hunt a few places. At home I leave one loaded until I shoot something. That gets the cap waxed on the nipple and a piece of duct tape on end of muzzle. It stays in a cold entryway so bringing it in don't sweat moisture on it.

I've two other rifles I hunt with. They are the ones I use if I'm not at home, and have to take the caps off to travel.

I've had all 3 guns > 40-15 years and shot deer with all of them so am comfortable with slightly different setups. They are all "Hawken" style TC/Lyman/Investarm

I have two .54 caliber rifles. I take one for the entire rifle season, then will use my GPR during the after Xmas glintlock season. Ive yet to get a deer with tje GPR though. My Lancaster has just taken it's third deer.

Absolutely not! Spike, no way am I admitting too anything....... I’m innocent until proven guilty....I plead the 5th!

Back