What gun to use.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
For deer and antelope hunting I always go for my Hot Rod Hawken.

LDJxvBF.jpg

If I am hunting elk I am required to use a minimum of 50 cal by state law.
If I have a tag and my son doesn't I use the gun I put together for him. The Hot Rod Renegade.

JlO6298.jpg

If my son is also hunting I use my 50 cal Far speaker.

wX2ZKaK.jpg

Once I decide on the hunt I stick with the same gun for that season. All my practice and hunting will be with one gun for that year.

ADK Bigfoot

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My "rifled fowler" is, by all appearances, a TVM Fowler, left hand, but with a .62 rifled barrel and a small rear sight. It looks like, handles like, and works like a Fowler, but the rifled barrel gives me small groups at 65 yards, which it is sighted in at. Very effective on Northern Whitetails.

ADK Bigfoot

deermanok

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Me too. When packing one of my .50 rifles I also usually carry my .50 mountain pistol. When carrying a .45 rifle it is a .45 Kentucky pistol. I find my Kentucky pistol much more accurate than the mountain pistol. You?
Still a bit of a toss up for me but I think my mountain pistol shoots a bit better.

Reaction score
I always start off with one that I have shot the most before season starts. This year it was my old T/C 50 cal Hawken. Shot a nice doe on opening day and am now continuing to hunt with my 45 cal flintlock. I like to rotate through the collection.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I pick a favorite and if it is fired - deer or no deer - I go to another one. But sometimes I've used the same rifle mostly all through the season.

Reaction score
My hands-down favourite is my .45 Hawken; my first two deer were taken with her. I usually carry her for both the muzzleloader and Unmentionable seasons. This year I had to do some shooting with one of my Besses for an educational program, and she did so well that I decided to go with her for the season. No luck so far, but I’ve got a few weeks left, and an extra couple of days off... 🤞🏼
Jay

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunt a few places. At home I leave one loaded until I shoot something. That gets the cap waxed on the nipple and a piece of duct tape on end of muzzle. It stays in a cold entryway so bringing it in don't sweat moisture on it.

I've two other rifles I hunt with. They are the ones I use if I'm not at home, and have to take the caps off to travel.

I've had all 3 guns > 40-15 years and shot deer with all of them so am comfortable with slightly different setups. They are all "Hawken" style TC/Lyman/Investarm

Sidney Smith

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have two .54 caliber rifles. I take one for the entire rifle season, then will use my GPR during the after Xmas glintlock season. Ive yet to get a deer with tje GPR though. My Lancaster has just taken it's third deer.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely not! Spike, no way am I admitting too anything....... I’m innocent until proven guilty....I plead the 5th!

Latest posts