What group size makes you happy?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Bob McBride

40 Cal
Reaction score
Though I don’t particularly like bench work, the comments about confidence is dead on. Nothing worse than not knowing where your ball SHOULD hit when in the field....

Big Rviers

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Get some steel targets of the size you can hit. That ring of the gong is great feedback even if it was a TRex sized target that you hit. Bigger the target, bigger the ring! And you killed a TRex!
This is my personal confidence builder and gong show when at the range. 4 inch steel at 100 yards. The first shot of the day, to prove to myself I don't need a fouling shot. And final shot of the day to remind me from that point on it's up to me to shoot as good as the rifle. Ok, maybe a few other shots during the day because it's just plain fun.100061914_299037677926059_8485231295142559744_n.jpg

Griz44Mag

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is my personal confidence builder and gong show when at the range. 4 inch steel at 100 yards. The first shot of the day, to prove to myself I don't need a fouling shot. And final shot of the day to remind me from that point on it's up to me to shoot as good as the rifle. Ok, maybe a few other shots during the day because it's just plain fun.View attachment 32329
Looks to me like you need to beef up your chains a bit. Maybe even add a third one. Those tiny chains may not be able to withstand the weight...!

LawrenceA

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When do you say, "Yep, that's IT. I'm done tweaking, thats this gun's "forever load,"
For me it is very dependent on what I intend to do. If it is hunting then minute of pig's vitals. But what you have and have available changes. For punching paper then it never stops. For plinking it never really starts. As it is generally a combination of all 2.........

The search ends 20 minutes after rigor mortis has me.

David Coulter

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ben, you’re probably never done. It’s just too much fun to fiddle. Your expectations should be your own. When I first built my flinter I tried 90 gr 2f and got about a 2 inch group at 50. I’m still using that load. I won’t win any prizes with that load or that rifle or with my eyes, but I love shooting with it and the freezer is full. Keep it fun and when you’re smiling you’re doing it all right.

nhmoose

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Left: from the 1980s. Flintlock offhand 50 yards on a 100 yard target. 1.5” ctc.

Right: from 2014 flintlock offhand 100 yards on a 200 yard target 6.25” across the widest 5 shots. The tight 4 are 2.5”
Was the 8 on the right target a Choke? :ghostly:

I hate when I do that.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score

I was recently reworking and old TC kit gun that I bought some time back and it looked pretty rough. I rebrowned the barrel and tang, and redid the sights somewhat as I couldn't get it to shoot low enough. It's still just an old TC, but I have hunted with it and had some fun doing it. After I did some altering on the sights, it shot this group at 50 yards....but I guess I still need to tweak it a little more to the right. I'm not using this one for competition, only hunting, so I think it should work just fine for me. I have been shooting it with 70 gr. 3f and an .018 patch, using a mix of Murphy's oil soap and Windex on the patches. This was a 5 shot group...