What grabs you

Discussion in 'General Reenacting Discussions' started by tenngun, Aug 24, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 24, 2019 #1

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I grew up in New Mexico. The Rockies sported passes. Some pretty narrow, some miles wide.
    I’ve never seen them in life but seen a photo or two of the gaps in the eastern mountains.
    It’s a grabber when I think about the volume of trade that passed through this little notches.
    Less then twenty years after the ‘mountain man’ period you could result and by horses get repairs to your gear along all the western trails, horses were cheaper in the west then east... that’s a grabber.
    Just read a history of the Saratoga campaign. Another grabber. Whole armies that would barely qualify as a division during the WTBS. Wilson Creek just a few miles from my home was a minor fight, in the Revolution it would have been a major battle.
    The week of the Arabia is impressive, but there was as big a boat one day behind, and it was one day behind another.
    Some things just grab my attention, just a little factoid that we often don’t think about that reveals a complexity of the past, reduced to a few words in a history book.
    What grabs you

2. Aug 25, 2019 #2

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

58 Cal.

It varies, that is an extremely broad topic.
    But, I am always fascinated by the mundane, the simple, average, daily, ordinary "take for granted" things in life, as well as the unspoken things.
    If history doesn't fascinate you, you haven't dug deep enough. History has something for everyone if they are willing to look for it.

3. Aug 25, 2019 #3

bang

bang

bang

45 Cal.

What grabs me?
    Usually my wife after I tell her, well, that was a stupid question.

sawyer04, azmntman and tenngun like this.
  4. Aug 25, 2019 #4

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

I am always grabbed by short 'matter of fact' statements that really include incredible hardships and adventures. For example, from a camp or trading post west of the Rockies, "Supplies running low, went to St. Louis and returned in the spring.". This with a couple horses or mules and one-shooter rifles.

tenngun likes this.
  5. Aug 25, 2019 #5

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

Sometimes it grabs me when folks say "If it isn't in written how something was used, it didn't exist".

Then think when's the last time you saw instructions on tying shoe laces ..or how to use toilet paper. :)

What really grabs me though, is going afield with an original old gun;
    Just thinking who carried it when new. You can look at an old stock, maybe very well cared for, but you can see the polished areas where it was held and carried. I like to think of all the world events that have taken place since it "was born".
    DSCN2884.JPG

6. Aug 25, 2019 #6

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Taking a abused gun and getting it up and running.

nhmoose, Pukka Bundook and tenngun like this.
  7. Aug 26, 2019 #7

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

Very much so, Jake!

This is the above when I got it;
    Wood broke and missing in a few places, cock and frizzen broken off, etc. 370_2-201411722542_original.jpg

nhmoose, OldRust and Rem722 like this.
  8. Aug 26, 2019 #8

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

You did a great job of bringing it back to life.

Pukka Bundook and Rem722 like this.
  9. Aug 27, 2019 #9

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

Thank you Jake, very kind of you!

Pictures out of order somehow, The ones where it's sitting on my cap are the "after" photos! :) but think this is the "brokest" I ever fixed;
    India Pattern Brown Bess. Stock in 9 major pieces. Needed whole new fore-end from entry pipe forward.
    Also vise pin, and half a tang, plus underlugs. DSCN1579.JPG DSCN1597.JPG DSCN1598.JPG 036.JPG DSCN1575.JPG

10. Sep 5, 2019 #10

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Quite right!

Like the time I was in Mt. Holly NJ at my friend Ian's house. He does Loyal American Regiment, and we had found a sketched map of the British camp. Since Mt. Holly is an old town, some of the street intersections are the same today as back then. Kinda eerie when we checked the sketch against an actual map, and we discovered that Ian's house was built on ground historically assigned to the regiment that he now reenacts.... like the past whispered to him on what he should portray....,

LD

11. Sep 5, 2019 #11

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Wow!
    I saw a documentary on Roman London. And have found some of the plots have been the same for two thousand years.
    Get that ‘grab ya’ to stand in those spots, like Daniel Boone’s last bedroom or walk by the spring Schoolcraft camped at near Bakersfield mo. They touch me even more then a battlefield.

12. Sep 6, 2019 #12

sawyer04

sawyer04

sawyer04

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Quarter mile from the house is a place where a trading post stood. Have found old horse bridal rings and buttons that have US on them. Appears to be Calvary relics. Have an old railroad bed that is from the Calvary days. Metal detecting has bought many spikes up and some very interesting cartridges,32-40, 45-70, and 44-40. Metal detecting grabs me.

tenngun likes this.
  13. Sep 6, 2019 #13

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

My friend Gary D does metal detecting. The farm where his girlfriend lived was where the retreating CSA stopped after Gettysburg, heading toward Antieatam creek. So he usually finds nails and pieces of fence, etc because it's a farm...sometimes he finds a button. One day he found a full set of fancy pewter shirt buttons in a tight clump. links for cuffs matched the buttons. He couldn't figure out why they were in a the shape of a ball. He spoke to an archaeologist...., the answer he got was, "They just came from a 3-day pitched battle, so did the owner ball-up a shirt to staunch a wound, and when it was soaked, discard it, where it lay until you dug it up?" :eek:

LD

14. Sep 6, 2019 #14

springfield art

springfield art

springfield art

36 Cl.

An Officer of the 2nd Pa. Reg't./43rd of Foot also lives in Mt. Holly; wonder of they know each other? Beautiful nice town.

15. Sep 6, 2019 #15

springfield art

springfield art

springfield art

36 Cl.

Or maybe it was just plain lost by someone...connected to the Civil War or not. Fell out of a bag; The idea that it had to be a dramatic, bloody, combat wound compress is fanciful and "romantic" in a dark way, but it's all speculation. Could have been lost in 1870 by a field hand who left it accidentally one afternoon. Nice find, though, no doubt pretty buttons.

16. Sep 6, 2019 #16

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

In Arkansas where I moved in ‘82 I was in the middle of near a square mile of woods. An old farm of six hundred acres had been left in the 1930s but passed on to ‘all the children’, and couldn’t be sold unless all the children agreed.... they didn’t and so the land sat unused.
    It was heavily wooded with just game paths into it. I got permission to hunt on it from the only family member I could find who lived in Arizona. One day on the edge of a branch I found a small fallen in cabin and a concrete footing and a ton of old mason jars.
    The cabin had a door on one side that opened in to a hallway, opposite the door was an a wall and three small 6x8 rooms.
    Seems after the family left during the dust bowl period some one came up this branch to start a still and the cabin was a brothel.
    From what I learned it operated for about ten years before the local ladies ‘run ‘em off. Since then all acccess grew over.

17. Sep 6, 2019 #17

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

Old stuff that someone had their hands on. Old money is a good example. That 1858 half dollar may have been in a Yankee Soldier's pocket. That CS $2.00 bill may have be in some Johnny Reb's haversack.

blushingmule and tenngun like this.
  18. Sep 7, 2019 #18

springfield art

springfield art

springfield art

36 Cl.

Were 'fancy pewter' shirt buttons used on civilian shirts at the time? Check into that.
    No proof offered that it was a Civil War retreating soldier whatsoever. Darkly romantic tale more suited to a 'bodice ripper' paperback...nice to find old buttons, though. Fun!

19. Sep 7, 2019 #19

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

What grabs me is meeting old folks in the backwoods still doing things 'old timey' especially when I'm toting a smoke pole. Once when going on a walk in deer hunt near Oakdale, Louisiana, my friend and I parked his truck in front of a dogtrot house back in the woods near Whiscachitta Creek. We were serenaded by the red bone hounds on duty, and we went up the steps into the dogtrot and knocked on the door on the right. Upon entering, we saw that my friends great aunt (in her '80's) was cooking on her fireplace; she was wearing a full length calico dress with a knitted shawl and when she turned to greet us she dropped her spatula and gave a gasp! I wondered what was wrong, she told us she thought I was her long dead brother! I had never met her before, and I was wearing Wellington boots, jeans, a stump colored long sleeve shirt with a wool lined vest, and a southren slouch hat. I had a .45 percussion longrifle with a shoulder slung leather shooting bag with fringe and powder horn and Indian beads and a Bowie knife in a belt scabbard. She said he had been dead nigh onto 50 years, and used to hunt with a rifle similar to mine, bringing home all types of game. I told her I liked to do things 'old timey' and she heartily approved. Just one memory among many made in my muzzleloading pursuits. I can't go into the swamps and baygalls without thinking of how folks used to live and provide for themselves, and hunt. P.S. I didn't get a deer that trip, but a swamp rabbit became a pot of stew thanks to that old hog rifle and kept an elderly lady fed for awhile, with good memories of her beloved brother to keep her company.

20. Sep 8, 2019 #20

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

True.... not sure of another scenario for a buttons found in what was obviously a wadded up shirt. It's a farm today.... was a pasture back then....

LD