• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Dry Lube When You are Allergic to Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheppsan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Pretty new to muzzle-loading, and am interested in trying a dry patch lube. However, I am apparently allergic to Ballistol, so any formula that uses it is not an option. Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

What ingredient in ballistol are you allergic to ?
What kind of reaction ?

Respiratory reaction. Can't stop coughing and sinus become very irritated. Not sure what ingredient causes it; just know I am not voluntarily going near the stuff ever again. Almost had to visit the ER.

I still us TC bore butter. I've got several tubes of it left and am going to use it until its gone. Works well enough as is food grade IIRC. Plus it smells like candy.

Several years ago I made up an adaptation of Dutch Schoulzs' dry patch lube. I substituted castor oil, 1 part dissolved in 5 parts denatured alcohol. The patches are set out so the DA can evaporate, leaving a fine amount of castor oil absorbed into the patch material.
It's all I use now, previously used tallow & beeswax patch lube for about 40 years. I get much less fouling accumulation.

Try a water soluble cutting fluid. If you know someone at a local machine shop you may want to ask them if you could get a small sample of what they are using. You won’t need much to try for patch luv and see if you are allergic.

NAPA Auto Parts store did carry water soluble cutting oil.
That’s what I used when trying the dry patch method...

Now I just apply a couple drops of olive oil too my patches and store them in a metal tin or cap container.

I have also used Dutch's method with Castor oil and Denatured alcohol. Works just fine, make sure you shake the mix well before applying to patches.
Also, it will deteriorate the patch material within a few months, so don't lube until a week or so before wanting to use them.
My rifle preferred a 6:1 ratio.

Lard, mink oil, olive oil. Just a little bit of a hard grease on your finger tip rubbed between your for finger and thumb and rubbed till warm and applied to one side of your patch will give you a ‘dry patch’

I've been using Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil for the last ten years or so. Works in every one of my guns from .32 to .58. Accuracy meets, and usually exceeds, any other lube I've tried (and I've tried a lot).

50091952678_445f64ac14_k.jpg

Pretty new to muzzle-loading, and am interested in trying a dry patch lube. However, I am apparently allergic to Ballistol, so any formula that uses it is not an option. Any other suggestions would be appreciated?
You’ll get as many recipes as shooters. Lol. I just use a dab of Murphys oil soap (neat) on the patch and rub in. Works well and keeps fouling soft. I once shot 4 hrs (about 20 shots per hr) without wiping and no fall off in accuracy. I’ve tried many lubes, but won’t bother trying any others.

Synthetic ATF. Lubegard brand uses JoJoba seed oil it’s a high temperature oil used as whale oil replacement.
Lubegard “Premium Universal” lubricant, in a squirt bottle.
Read Lube gard write up on the properties of their LXE Technology.
https://www.lubegard.com/technology/
https://www.lubegard.com/products/val/
Considering the old time muzzleloaders seem to swoon at the mention of whale oil, a high quality replacement should have them all over this product.

I have been testing as a regular use gun oil for about 2 years now and it’s been working perfectly.

All of the soluble cutting fluids will react to allergies the same as ballistol. I worked in machine shops for over fifty years and those of use who had allergies to one of the soluble oils had the same reaction to all of them. So I would go with the olive oil or castor oil and alcohol mix.

Back