• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What does a turn line mean?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I see revolvers with barely noticeable to pronounced turn lines. What does it mean? Heavy use? Something out of alignment scratching the cylinder? Something to avoid?

Actually I don't think a turn or drag line is any indication as to how much a revolver has been fired. Manhandled yes, but not fired. I've seen revolvers that have hardly ever been fired but sure look like they've heavily used.

Turn lines happen on all revolvers but the better made the gun is the less they show. If the cylinder stop isn't well fitted or the cylinder stop spring is too heavy they become much worse.

Actually, as far as S.A.'s are concerned, it is typically a sign handling ignorance and/or a timing problem. The cylinder should only be touched when loading or unloading. . . allowing the action to turn the cyl will keep it "ring free". You'll see YouTube vids of folks evaluating a revolver and they'll draw the hammer back slightly and turn the cylinder . . DON'T DO THAT!!! Half cock is there for that purpose!!!
If the left arm of the bolt is sliding off the side of the cam instead of falling off the front, timing will degrade as the cam wears and a ring will be in your future.
Also, spinning the cyl and drawing the hammer to full cock to stop the cyl (Hollywood style) is an excellent way to add a "beauty ring" to your pristine revolver!. Lol!!
The action is the 19th century "computer ". The hammer has the "program" and the hand, bolt, trig. actuate when they are set to . . . it knows "what, where and when" so don't help !!

Mike

Actually I don't think a turn or drag line is any indication as to how much a revolver has been fired. Manhandled yes, but not fired. I've seen revolvers that have hardly ever been fired but sure look like they've heavily used.
Not really manhandled. If the stop is a little tall it will rub. There are solutions but careful handling isn’t going to stop it. Removing a few file strokes worth of material from the top of the bolt will do it.

If the bolt is high, it's not fitted correctly or the cam is failing because of too much bolt spring pressure (which magnifies the problem if it's sliding off the side). At half cock the top of the bolt head should be flush with the frame at minimum. Most new revolver bolts (Italians) descend fairly deep which stresses the bolt spring which also adds to the failures mentioned above.

Mike

Back