• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what do you use when swabbing between shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use water/ballistol mix for patch lube so I tried some left over solution for swabbing between shots. It didn't work as well for me as the peroxide/alcohol/murphy's oil soap cleaning mix I use.

I used to use Windex or blue WWF. Now, I have a small bottle of "moose milk" which I make with Ballistol and water. 7 parts water to 1 part Ballistol. I also use that when I am done shooting to do a basic clean of the bore and wipe down the exterior metal. Swabbing between shots (3 shots) the patch is just damp. Basic cleaning, it's just a bit more wet but not dripping wet. This lets me leave most of the mess and smell in the trash can at the range and I can clean at my leisure at home.

That said, Windex and blue washer fluid would probably work just fine.
Good to know cuz I just can't get used to the smell of Ballistrol. To me smells like vomit...works great but I've tried and just can't stand it anymore

I seldom have to swab. Sometimes not at all. When I do Hornady black powder cleaner will not contaminate your load if the bore isn't bone dry. Goes boom every time.

I think the type of material the swab is made of makes a difference so I use 100% cotton flannel. Then I cut into appropriate sized squares and place in a container along with several drops of rubbing alcohol, just enough that all the material is barely dampened. If you can squeeze out a drop then it's too much. The alcohol naturally attracts water and cuts the powder fouling very well allowing it to be absorbed and then removed by the flannel. Swabbing is just down and up, then discard the patch. Pumping up and down may spread the fouling and worsen accuracy.

I am not trying to clean the barrel between shots , just condition it so it is the same each time , and to stop crud buildup . I use a 100% cotton patch cut to the same size and thickness , different for each caliber , I give the patch a mist squirt of water , it does not really wet the patch , just lightly moistens it . I do one in and out wipe , the out stroke bunches the patch and pulls out the crud . It works for me . Especially when using Schuetzen powder .

the dawn formula i gave in the above post. a fellow shooter and good friend on this forum told me about it. he sometimes shoots 3-day competition matches with that lube and never swabs or cleans at all till he gets home. he said an old-time shooter told him about it. using it, the bore cleans up a lot quicker also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MAP same as I clean with. I was a competition shooter not a re-enactor. X rings are what counts, Groups only if in X and 10 ring. I mixed my MAP 1/4,1/3,1/3 Alcohol, Murphy's oil soap, Peroxide drug store kind.

I mix 2 quarts of Murphy's oil soap and 2 quarts alcohol in a gallon plastic jug shake until mixed. When I get to the range for a shoot I take and fill A pint bottle that Peroxide came in 2/3 full of that mix. I then fill it with a "brand-new bottle of peroxide". Shake till mixed.

Then I fill a small spray bottle [4oz or so with the mixed MAP. I spritz of this onto one side of cleaning patch I buy from a firm in Maine about 1 1/2 inch dia cotton. Place wet side to muzzle Push down with rod pull out then turn to dry side down and up once.

I use Match teflon patch from the Minuteman in OH. I like the .015 and .018 depending on the gun. Gun is the same condition for each shot. At the end of the shoot I dump the rest of the mixed map along with leftover Peroxide. I get a fresh one for the next shoot. My MAP is always fresh.

For hunting I use Pillow tick or denim with Foggy Moutain bear & Beeswax boot waterproofing No wiping need for repeat shots. Deer, bear, & moose have huge X-rings by the way.

I load from a bullet board using small plastic tubes for the charges carried in a belt pouch along with a couple of tools or my hunting pouch that each rifle or smoothbore has.

In the woods I use one patch wet with canteen water and then two dry ones. At the range I use a squeeze bottle of T/C cleaning stuff, again one and two.
If not in a rush for some reason, I ALWAYS swab between shots. An OCD thing I reckon. The last dry patch is big enough to push air out thru the vent to dry it. Another oddity I do: before a hunt, I run alcohol saturated patches down the bore. I even tip the bottle and pore enough in so that a tight patch going down will cause alcohol to squirt out of the vent. That way I am certain to have removed moisture. Drying patches after that. Then I carefully load.
Off topic a bit, but getting out of a warm truck into a cold dawn might dampen your frizzen so I wipe that before priming.
Don't holler at me for transporting a loaded gun. Been doing that with M/Ls forever.
A loaded muzzleloader in your vehicle is even legal (or was) in NYS. Just can’t have a cap on or powder in the pan. I’ve got so I run a moist patch down when I seat the patched ball. So far, I haven’t had any fouling issues and I believe I have a consistent bore for each shot.

if I had a rifle that needed to be swabbed between shots the demo saw would come out rifle be sawed into pieces and thrown in the garbage

Still doing 25-75 shots at rondy. Never have swabbed in close to 20 years with this rifle.

Must be doing something right
Every time this subject comes up I can’t help but wonder how anyone can shoot more than twice without at least some type of swab.
I’m starting to think it’s more about where you live and shoot instead of what you load with. Is that possible? I live in central Florida where the humidity is so high you get sweat soaked just walking to the truck.
I’ve shot black powder for over 45 years. I currently have 4 rifles. .32 to .54 cal. I’ve tried everything suggested by others but if I even dare to shoot a third time without swabbing I’m running the risk of a ball stuck halfway down my barrel. I can usually get it down but by then I’ve changed from my ramrod to a heavy range rod and almost beating it down. It doesn’t matter what patch or lube I use.
I wonder if others are using way more lube or is it the extreme humidity causing my problem.
I usually use a ball .010 less than bore size with a patch .015-.018 thick. Again I get same results no matter which gun or caliber I use.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I’m not too lazy to swab but it sure puzzles me

Every time this subject comes up I can’t help but wonder how anyone can shoot more than twice without at least some type of swab.
I’m starting to think it’s more about where you live and shoot instead of what you load with. Is that possible? I live in central Florida where the humidity is so high you get sweat soaked just walking to the truck.
I’ve shot black powder for over 45 years. I currently have 4 rifles. .32 to .54 cal. I’ve tried everything suggested by others but if I even dare to shoot a third time without swabbing I’m running the risk of a ball stuck halfway down my barrel. I can usually get it down but by then I’ve changed from my ramrod to a heavy range rod and almost beating it down. It doesn’t matter what patch or lube I use.
I wonder if others are using way more lube or is it the extreme humidity causing my problem.
I usually use a ball .010 less than bore size with a patch .015-.018 thick. Again I get same results no matter which gun or caliber I use.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I’m not too lazy to swab but it sure puzzles me

After all these years, your doing it wrong. Come to the Charleston, SC area for a free shoot and tutorial. Shoot me a PM

Sounds like we almost need a twelve step program, to get out of this swabbing nightmare! Shooters sitting around in a circle etc...

Back