• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you use to keeps nipples from seizing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Militec-1 grease. I’ve been using it for years for nipples, breech plugs and choke tubes. A little dab will do you, works great.

Sympathy going out ! I have observed and learned from others about this. One fellow that I talked to suggested that to prevent this from occurring you (before shooting) unscrew the nipple making sure it is clean and clear then take a pipe cleaner and turn it into the channel. Then use a small dab of lithium grease around the contact surface of the nipple. Run it into the barrel and back it out and back in. Load up and enjoy! After your hunt or session is finished back out the nipple and clean. There should be no problem in getting it to come out. Just make this part of regular maintenance is all.
No need to remove the nipples for cleaning after every shooting session.

I have used Permatex Nickel Anti-seize for very many years. It was the only thing that I would use on aircraft spark plug and the goto stuff for many other items. Nipples, torch hole liner are never stuck here.

I've never had a nipple seize on any of the percussions that I have owned. I have always used bore butter or wonderlube 1000 on the threads and re installed that nipple while the barrel was still warm from cleaning with hot water and dish soap.

No need to remove the nipples for cleaning after every shooting session.
This is true. However. I usually clean by submerging the breech in a half gallon of water and pumping water up and down the bore.removing the nipple gives me more volume through the patent breech and ensures that the channel is clean, clear and ready for the next load. I use Eezox or FrogLube in the bore and on the exterior of the barrel, some obviously gets on the nipple as it’s replaced but both of them dry to a film providing little if any lube or anti seize properties. I just snug the nipple in place and I have never had a problem removing them.

Used to only use anti-seize grease on my nipples, but when I started shooting .451 target rifles it just didn't cut it anymore. Started using 1/4" wide teflon pipe tape, and it made world of difference. No seized nipples or fouling in the threads anymore.

With normal round ball muzzleloaders the grease "usually" works well, and did for me for years. With the high pressure target rifles, I had to switch to tape. If you are having issues with your rifle, try some tape and see if it helps.

A good day at the range today. Only fired about 10 rounds. When cleaning I tried to get the nipple out and it was the most difficult one I can remember. Siezed is probably a bit strong but even when I got it loose it continued to be a mother to unscrew, After about 3 turns my hand was so sore ( 3" bar ) I changed tactics. I put in my bucket of water and gave it a few pumps, pulled it out and the nipple was still tight as hell. I figured I must be pulling crud up with it in the threads so I screwed it back in about a full turn and that was enough to clear it . I always put a tiny dab of oil on the threads after cleaning and wipe off any excess before screwing it back in. I was wondering if any of you have a more reliable method.
Copper anti seize has never let me down on nipples or choke tubes.

John

This is true. However. I usually clean by submerging the breech in a half gallon of water and pumping water up and down the bore.removing the nipple gives me more volume through the patent breech and ensures that the channel is clean, clear and ready for the next load. I use Eezox or FrogLube in the bore and on the exterior of the barrel, some obviously gets on the nipple as it’s replaced but both of them dry to a film providing little if any lube or anti seize properties. I just snug the nipple in place and I have never had a problem removing them.
When I shot percussion rifles, I removed the nipple for cleaning a little more often than I do with percussion revolvers.

I got a hand me down tube of Cva nipple grease that came out of a muzzloading starter kit years ago. The tube will probably last a lifetime as so little is used. If I ever run out I will switch to permatex anti seize.

I use Gunzilla brand CLP, probably the same as any other kind of CLP, but a little drop on the threads works well for me. I probably don't go 6 months without cleaning, even a quick rubdown if they haven't been shot so they don't sit for a super long period of time.

I think any of the commercial antiseize or choke tube lubes will work, generally speaking. I have no experience with the high-pressure rifles mentioned in several of the posts above, but would take the recommendations of those who do.

I have removed a few stubborn nipples, but usually, once you break it loose, it turns out without much difficulty. I'm concerned that your nipple may have been cross-threaded, if it was that hard to turn for its entire length. When I install a nipple, I like to turn it in with my thumb and fingers as far as I can, even if it's only one or two turns, and then snug it up with a wrench. I can get a better sense of whether it's going in straight or not when I start it with my fingers.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back