• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you use to keeps nipples from seizing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good day at the range today. Only fired about 10 rounds. When cleaning I tried to get the nipple out and it was the most difficult one I can remember. Siezed is probably a bit strong but even when I got it loose it continued to be a mother to unscrew, After about 3 turns my hand was so sore ( 3" bar ) I changed tactics. I put in my bucket of water and gave it a few pumps, pulled it out and the nipple was still tight as hell. I figured I must be pulling crud up with it in the threads so I screwed it back in about a full turn and that was enough to clear it . I always put a tiny dab of oil on the threads after cleaning and wipe off any excess before screwing it back in. I was wondering if any of you have a more reliable method.
Sympathy going out ! I have observed and learned from others about this. One fellow that I talked to suggested that to prevent this from occurring you (before shooting) unscrew the nipple making sure it is clean and clear then take a pipe cleaner and turn it into the channel. Then use a small dab of lithium grease around the contact surface of the nipple. Run it into the barrel and back it out and back in. Load up and enjoy! After your hunt or session is finished back out the nipple and clean. There should be no problem in getting it to come out. Just make this part of regular maintenance is all.

I have also used RIG for years with good results. Clean the nipple hole with a pipe cleaner as your last step before reinstalling with a little grease. Don't overtighten the nipple, just snug it up.

I much prefer RIG, which is basically grease, over anti-seize, which seems to get on everything in the room once you touch it!

IME, that's true of every anti-seize I've ever used - it's a P.I.T.A. (but it works like a charm).

Like Brylcream, a little drop will do ya ! :ghostly:

I use a purple grease that smells funny. It’s called Gorilla Grease. In comes in a very small plastic clam shell. It is very effective and I don’t over tighten my nipples.
D5145B8E-BB92-4320-81BC-82FC8C95D718.jpeg

Last edited:
Only fired about 10 rounds. When cleaning I tried to get the nipple out and it was the most difficult one I can remember.
Curious what powder you are using? I have seen 777 cause problems with threads getting extremely tight after only a few shots. May require you to get more vigilant with your Never-Seez use.

Last edited:
I am with Daveboone. I have found that leaving the nipple in while starting the cleaning process (Breech end in a bucket of warm water) loosens it up just fine. I have never used an anti seize on the nipple.

I use copper slip on the threads but saying that it is very rare I remove nipples .
Feltwad

What ever you use , be aware that most of the lubes you buy in small amounts with firearms brand and use labels are exactly the same as those used automotive or plumbing applications , except they are considerably more expensive in $/oz .
I know a lot of guys who use PTFE plumbing tape on rifles like Whitworths etc which run high breach pressures .

I clean the parts in warm soapy water. I take the nipples out of the cylinder 1st. After drying and oiling everything I put dabs of Bore Butter on the threads and install the nipples.Have never had a problem.

On another note I told the other half the title of the thread and she giggles and then said to handle them gently ;)

Back