• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you think...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my TC Renegade (flint) worked over this fall - new frizzen and pan work from Brad at Cabin Creek and Bobby bore'd out the 50 cal to what is now 54 with a 1in32 twist. My peep is locked in and overall, the equipment should produce results. I had it out at the range earlier this past week and again today, and am not getting the results I'd like. I am shooting lyman-type maxis that are about 420grn with 80 grains of Geoxx 3F. Here are my last 5 shots at 75 yards:
-4" RT & 4" high
-4" RT & 2" high
....adjusted peep elevation downwards (movement is not terribly precise, but wanted to drop it down ~2") and windage to left
-5.5" LFT & 2.5" low
-4" LFT & 0" H/L
-5" LFT & 3" low

Clearly I adjusted my windage way too much. But between shots 1 & 2 there is 2" variation in elevation with no peep adjustment. And then between shots 3-5, the elevation is back and forth. My routine between shots is fairly regimented in that I clean the pan, check my target with the spotting scope and then proceed to clean the bore with Turkey Track solvent (from Ft Chambersburg black powder shop) until my patch is at worst, light grey. My IWLA range shoots 30-minute cycles. I can comfortably get 2 shots within the 30-min cycle, but no more. As a result, my barrel is reasonably cool for each shot.

For reference, my TC hawken had the exact same work done on it and I have it shooting 3 shots (through the above routine): 1" LFT & 0 H/L; 0.5" LFT & 0 H/L; 0.5" RT & 0 H/L. This is very good shooting for me and I couldn't be happier with the hawken.

My theory on the Renegade is that it doesn't like the load I am feeding it. I recently sighted in my kimber 6.5CM and I fed it 4 different types of factory ammo before I found one that would produce consistent results. If that's the case for a modern rifle, why not for a ML? I could up the powder load from 80 to 90 and stick with the lyman maxis. I also have a bunch of 380grn REAL canonicals from Grizz44Mag and could try running those with 80 grains or even more. So, I'm interested in your thoughts...could it be that the renegade just doesn't like 80grains and the lyman maxis? What would you do - would you simply up the powder load or would you switch to the REALs, and if so, what powder load?

Thanks in advance!

I'd try some different bullets for sure.
For an example, one of my rifles shot very inconsistent with a 490 ball. I switched to a 495 ball and the difference was like night and day.

My theory on the Renegade is that it doesn't like the load I am feeding it. I recently sighted in my kimber 6.5CM and I fed it 4

Thanks in advance!
Before you sight in a rifle for dead zero accuracy a best group load needs to be developed. When the gun is grouping it's best, then adjust your sights. Your theory is telling you where to start.
Larry

My Renegade don't group even with roundballs until 90 gr of 2F and the Maxis 110-120 gr. Don't know what your barrel likes but maybe more powder?

Mine likes 70gr 2F and a patched roundball. Just keep playing around and you'll probably find good satisfaction. Those rifles are workhorse hunters.

My .54 Renegade loves the 380 grain REAL, I put a bore button between the powder and bullet and I'm using 75grains of 2F Swiss (that I got at Ft. Chambers)

Regardless of twist rate if the grooves are deep you'll have trouble finding your load with conicals. A wad between the bullet and the powder could help with accuracy. Deeper grooves tend to do better with prb than with conicals. Don't give up on trying round ball and other types of conicals, a great load is there waiting for you to find it..

Back