• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What do you hunt with your traditional muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve shot a few deer with a .50, and one with a .45. I only shot one squirrel with the .50 and that was because he was bothering me in my stand. It’s fun to shoot armadillo at night after a good rain. I did take a turkey with that .50, but it was a shot of opportunity. I was working in the barn and saw him on the edge of the field. I crept up into the loft, opened the door , and while I was aiming for center mass I got him right through his craw. Great shot I only sometimes take credit for…

I hunt deer and hogs. West Tennessee has enough of both that they’re considered a nuisance. The hogs are tough enough that we have a lot of guys locally that that still prefer .54 over .50 as an all around gun (myself included) and I know of at least one gentleman who prefers a .58.

IMG_20210117_165844_813.jpg

When I was younger I hunted most everything. I used a smooth bore for bird hunting, Dove and Quail seasons as well as rabbits. A rifle for mostly deer hunting. Although if I use a blind the smoothbore is good for deer too. But nowadays it is feral or wild pigs hunting.

Quail, Squirrel, prairie dog, ground hog, javalina, wild hog, deer, elk, buffalo, and bear unsuccessfully. I once killed a wasp only because I was under attack and could not abide him any longer.

Back