• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What do you hunt with your traditional muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
54 caliber Lyman GPR
.530 roundball

One of these days a black bear will stay too close for too long.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1560789562175.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560789562175.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201114_091145.jpg
    20201114_091145.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191130_150109.jpg
    20191130_150109.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
I’ve only hunted deer. Got a .54 renegade percussion in the 80’s.. I think. Hunted with it some, especially in primitive season, but mostly it lived in the gun safe. Then was given a flintlock, and I love shooting this gun! Am looking to build a Kibler SMR to hunt deer this year. Too bad I’m 70, and have limited years to hunt left.

Mainly hunt deer with my flintlocks. Have killed 3 so far with my TVM Lancaster .54 caliber. When I built my .62 caliber smoothbore, I started hunting small game with it, mostly squirrels. Took it on a few pheasant hunts as well. No luck yet though. Have tried turkey hunting with it also, but just use a modern shotgun on them these days. I may try a buckshot load in the smoothbore for deer. I built a .32 caliber rifle last year that I use for squirrels, but may work up a buckshot load using the same balls. Should work well enough at close range.

Mule & whitetail deer, elk and bear, when ever I can draw the tags, seems to be getting tougher each year.

Mainly hunt deer with my flintlocks. Have killed 3 so far with my TVM Lancaster .54 caliber. When I built my .62 caliber smoothbore, I started hunting small game with it, mostly squirrels. Took it on a few pheasant hunts as well. No luck yet though. Have tried turkey hunting with it also, but just use a modern shotgun on them these days. I may try a buckshot load in the smoothbore for deer. I built a .32 caliber rifle last year that I use for squirrels, but may work up a buckshot load using the same balls. Should work well enough at close range.
Update. I just found out using buckshot is no longer legal in Pa save for two state park drawing type hunts. So my buckshot idea is now out the window. Oh well. Maybe I'll try a round ball in my smoothy to see how that works.

Squirrels, doves,rabbits, all with either my potsdam 72 cal smoothie or my Richards percussion 12 gauge. Deer with one of my few 50 cal. Hopefully this fall I can chase some squirrels with the 32 I just restored.

Where did you shoot the billy ?
He was in Oregon.
The woman who owned them passed away and her family released them. They ended up on a cattle ranch running feral and really spooky. The cattle rancher said to take them if we had a chance while deer hunting. Saw them feeding up a draw and got ahead of them.

He was in Oregon.
The woman who owned them passed away and her family released them. They ended up on a cattle ranch running feral and really spooky. The cattle rancher said to take them if we had a chance while deer hunting. Saw them feeding up a draw and got ahead of them.
Nice. I quite like hunting goats,good eating too. Over here they run feral but there's a market for their meat so a lot of people are rounding up the wild mobs and selling them. Luckily I have access and permission to hunt them locally 😁

I work at a cattle feedlot and take my rifles to work to deal with the coyotes that we are infested with. I have often taken my 54 cal renegade with me to work and now I'm thinking about that .50 cal Hawken hanging on the wall. It's high time I put that baby to work too. Night shift can be fun! I hope to use my .54 to harvest a deer this November.

Last edited:
Back